The New Arrival

Mycroft turned away and began talking rapidly into his phone. John knew something was wrong. Sherlock's plane was flying farther away from the landing strip.

"Sherlock!" John called trying to get his attention by waving his arms. He knew it wouldn't do any good, but right now it was the only thing he could do. Mycroft helped Mary into his car and motioned for John to get in the back.

"Mycroft what's going on?I heard you on the phone saying they were supposed to land." John asked. In less than a minute they were speeding along the tree lined roads leading away from the airport. Without looking away from the road Mycroft replied, "The men up there are rogue agents. We suspect they work for Moriarty."

"Hang on." John started, the anger rising in his voice. "You suspected those men worked for the most dangerous man in the country, and you sent your brother up there alone?"

Mycroft didn't respond. Instead he continued driving. His knuckles were white as he tightened his grip on the steering wheel. John hadn't seen Mycroft this worried about his brother since Sherlock was shot in Magnussen's office. Beside him Mary shifted in her seat uncomfortably. Her fists clenched and unclenched.

"Mary? What's wrong?" John asked.
"If it's that drug Billy put in your tea at Christmas , I swear I'll-" Mary put her hand on his shoulder to reassure him. She took another deep breath. "The baby's coming." she replied shakily.

John was stunned. Wave after wave of happiness and excitement washed over him. I'm going to be a father, he thought excitedly. For the moment he forgot all about Sherlock.

"No, no, no, no, not now." Mycroft mumbled frantically. His words snapped John out of his shock.

"She can't just hold it in like she's going to the loo!" John shouted. This was too much. Emotions twisted inside him like snakes. He was beyond happy about the baby coming. But Sherlock was still out there trapped with Moriarty.

Mycroft decided to ignore the sarcasm. "Alright. We'll get Mary to the nearest hospital." he took a sharp left along a narrow road. By now they had reached a small city and were well away from the airport. Cars swerved around them, their horns blaring as drivers shouted angrily from their windows.

Within a few minutes they had reached the hospital and pulled into the parking lot. Mycroft hurried from the driver's seat and he and John helped Mary into the building. As soon as they walked in a nurse helped Mary into a wheelchair and called for a doctor.

"I-I'm a doctor. Is there any way I can help?" John stuttered. The coolness he usually felt under stress was gone. Now all he felt was anxiety and nervousness.

"Sir, please just wait in the hall. You'd only get in the way." she said as she wheeled Mary into a room. Inside doctors stood waiting, the cot prepped
. Mary turned around and managed to give him a reassuring smile before the doors swung closed. John turned to face Mycroft, who had just caught up with them.

"I called in as soon as Mary began showing signs of going into labor." he said quietly.

"Wait, how could you have-" John stopped himself. He had forgotten Mycroft was almost as skilled at deduction as his brother.

"Er, thank you." John said a bit awkwardly. He wasn't used to speaking kindly with Mycroft. The two walked farther down the hall and sat down in the waiting room. I should be in there with Mary, he thought annoyed. John stared at the clock on the wall. It read 7:58. Half an hour ticked by and still no doctor had come with news about Mary. Outside the sun had set and a plane flew by overhead.

A few minutes later Mycroft's phone rang and he stood up. "Yes?" he answered. John looked at Mycroft. His face had the usual bored look it always had. "What do you mean crashed ?!" he snapped. John's blood ran cold.