chapter 15 - I Was Made to Love You

Start from the beginning

Dawn laughed.

I smiled. "We just wanted to see how many times we could get you to do it."

"Was that five or four and a half?" Dawn asked.

"Gonna talk about my dress?" Mom asked.

"I like it," Dawn told her.

"You sure?" Mom asked. "I mean, it's not too Mom-ish?"

"Oh, that was why I liked it," Dawn told her.

"You're both crazy," I told them. "It's not Mom-ish at all. It's sexy. It screams, 'Randy sex kitten. Buy me one drink, and I'll--' Oh, wait. That's not really good, either."

Dawn shook her head. "Uh-uh."

"Oh, God," Mom told us. "What time is it?"

I checked my watch. "4:23. You have lots of time until 7:00. Vast acres of time in which you could plant crops. Now, tell me about this Brian and what his intentions are."

"Maybe he's a gigolo," Dawn told us. "Was his shirt all shiny?"

"No," Mom answered. "He works for a publishing house. He's a nice, normal guy, kay?"

"I think I've heard of those," I told them.

Mom stepped closer. "He came into the ER one night after a minor car accident..."

"And you helped him on his way back to health and happiness," I finished. "And now he wants to thank you in the best way to thank you."

"Sounds sweet," Dawn told us. "So, what's the plan for tonight?" 

Mom thought. "Dinner and then a movie. Or maybe it was a movie and then dinner, which might be better, because, you know, then we could talk about the movie." I nodded. "Or maybe a movie isn't a good idea at all, because you can't talk during, and then what's the point of any of it?" Dawn shook her head. "Oh, and about the restaurant. Do you think that it should be one with candles and romantic music, or is that pushing it? Zoey, what do you think? Should I try to make things romantic, or sort of let him set the pace?"

"Oh, no," I told them. "Love doctor Zoey is not in. I am not qualified to give dating advice. I've had exactly one boyfriend, and one college fling, and they both left. Really left. Left town left."

"Honey, you just had some bad lucky," Mom told me.

I shrugged.

"Well, you're going to that spring break party tonight," Dawn told me. "Maybe you'll find someone there."

I nodded. "Mm-hmm." I looked at Mom teasingly. "Or maybe Brian has a son, and Mom and I can go on some awkward double dates."

Mom took a deep breath. "Oh, God. Brian. What time in it now?"

I checked my watch. "4:24."

"You sure the dress is okay?" Mom asked.

"Mm, spin again," Dawn told her. "Real fast this time."

Mom gave Dawn a half-hearted look.

Dawn and I smiled.

      ~~~~~     

At the spring break party, Xander and Buffy were dancing to the fast paced song.

Tara, Willow, Anya and I were talking at the side of the party.

"I let them do that," Anya told us. "Dance together. That was me."