Chapter Four

Beginne am Anfang

Although I tried to get some answers out of her all of my questions lead to dead end answers and she seemed to refuse to talk to me too much. I wasn't sure why, she didn't seem to be a very anti social, she seemed pleasant enough, if a little stiff.

She took me back round the corridor and through a massive hallway past the room I had woken up in. The hallway had a giant TV hanging in the middle of it and it kind of reminded me of a news lab, I wasn't sure what to make of it. What was it doing in the middle of the corridor? Nice one too, should be in some kind of living room or something.

She hurried me down the stairs and I found myself in a room with even more to be at awe with. The kitchen was a sight, it was like an actual restaurant kitchen, I swear every furnishing in it cost more than Google's net worth. They were all gleaming sharp objects with a white or silver sheen. There was a nice black marble counter that stretched through half the room so as to part it from one end.

Wisp seated me at the table and asked me if I'd like anything to eat. I nodded yes and got out some cold food from a giant fridge somewhere to the side. I ate ravenously. I hadn't eaten much in days and even brown bread with this.. Whatever.. This humus or whatever, it was amazing. I tried the tahini beside it, and some of the basil mayo with mozzarella. On a plate with plastic foil there were washed and cut carrots, cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes and sugar snap peas.

I was in heaven.

I saw Wisp watching me with a mixed expression on her face as I stuffed myself obese in front of her, trying to conceal the blush making it's way across my cheeks. 

"My brother won't tell me how he found you." She said, still standing and not sitting down.

I tried to swallow the unchewed bread roll I had in my mouth to speak to her but without much success.

"Do you know what you are?"

The food went down.

"I'm like, a katam, right? Your dad said I-"

"Brother." She interrupted. Which I knew but accidents happen.

"Yeah, your brother said I was a katam but he won't tell me what it is."

"Right," she sighed.

I looked up at her as I dipped a carrot stick in the chili humus. "Can you tell me?" I asked.

She gave me a long stoic stare, her poker face was incredible and was almost making me feel uneasy. "I'm not allowed." She said after a while. "Kerberos would be angry at me for it."

My brows furrowed. "I don't get it, he's your brother not your headmaster. Why would you care?" I was seriously thinking this might be some kind of cult.

But I don't think she was listening to me, she seemed to be mostly just staring off into space. "Do you like him?" She asked.

That came right out of the blue. "What, your brother?"

"Yeah."

"Like him?"

"Yes." She sounded impatient, as though I was the one being weird.

"I'm not sure." I answered honestly.

I watched as another man walked into the room from behind her soundlessly and walked over to the fridge, opening it and rifling through it. My eyes returned to hers.

"You were all over him just a minute a go, what do you mean you don't know?"

She had a point.

"Yeah he's hot but I don't even know the guy, I mean I-"

Before I could continue the man from behind her stood up and walked over to us, anger outlining his face. "Wait what?"

Wisp flung herself around.

"Hello." Greeted him.

He ignored the formality. "What the fuck does our reusieum think he's doing kissing the katam!" He snarled.

I stared at him, completely and utterly confused as to where this emotion was coming from. I didn't now the guy, why was he pissed I kissed his boss or whatever.

"Just whim of the moment, really none of your business." She replied curtly, without regarding the man with much interest.

"What the fuck do you mean it's not my business? I'm lining up for him too! We might not be as good fighters as the reusieum but we get to at least try, what's he think he's doing acting all presumptuous and laying his hands on the katam when he thinks no ones looking!" He yelled.

Wisp flinched, she still had her poker face on, in fact it seemed to be rebuilding itself, but I could see from the corner of her eyes that uncertainty within them.

"I'm sure he never meant to be presumptuous, he simply wanted a taste of what he's laying his life on the line for, I am sure that is all."

I was seriously thinking of interrupting them at this point only the look on the mans face made me rethink this.

"Well he has to toe in line like the rest of us fuckers, chief of war or not, you know the series. Find a katam; ring the others; serium takes place; winner takes 'em. Not even the reusieum gets to fuck with the katam till it's decided."

"Don't preach to me." Wisp muttered. "I wasn't the one."

He snorted. "No, really?"

"I wish you wouldn't be a jerk all the time."

"Hey, I'm so sorry I want one for me too."

"Well I'm sorry you're jealous."

"I'm not jealous, you don't need to be jealous to want a fucking katam." He growled.

I shrank back in my seat.

Oh God, what the fuck is going on here.