Chapter 4: Dauntless

Start from the beginning

    "Good luck." Uriah whispers to me before walking off joining the crowd. Once they are gone and the group has shrunk to less than half its size, there are only nine of us left, no Amity and only one Abnegation, me.

    "My name is Four, and for the time being I'll be your instructor." Tobias announces gaining the already given attention of the handful remaining. So he is this Four person, I wonder how he got that name.

    "Four? As in the number four?" Christina giggles emphasizing the word 'four'. Tobias or should I say Four, creeps up to stands centimeters in front of her meaning he was also centimeters away from me. He narrows his eyes and leans closer to her face, making it now millimeters between hers and his own. He doesn't stare, but glares into her eyes for a second causing her to back away and him to step forward remaining the distance.

    "And you are?" He asks in a low whisper that sends a chill up my spine and could make hairs stand up on the devil himself.

    "Christina." She gulps and there's a flash of fear in her eyes before they look down avoiding Four's attempts to kill her with his own. This makes a small smirk crawl to Tobias' face for an instance, it's there for a blink of the eye before it is gone and his cold scowl returns.

    "Ok Christina." He whispers in a sinister manner while pulling her face to look at him once again, a little roughly I note. "You should learn that this here," He motions his hands around him. "Is not your old faction. So if I were you I would learn to keep my Candor smartass comments to myself. Got it?" He asks growling the final words, not once backing away from her. "That goes for all of you, this isn't Candor or Erudite, and this sure as hell ain't Amity or Abnegation." His eyes land on mine at that point and it may be my mind but it looks like they soften for a second. "This is Dauntless, and if you can't come to accept that then you mine as well get the hell out now." Most initiates mumble some type of agreement, but I just stand there staring at him with my mouth slightly open.

What happened to Tobias the small shy Abnegation boy I used to know? That boy had short hair and dull blue eyes, drowning in Abnegation gray. No this was Four, his hair was slightly longer and hung on his forehead a bit, his blue eyes now glowed against the Dauntless black and looked more like the dark night sky. He changed, he too wanted a new life and I one day will have it like him. Four then, without a moment to process, walks toward a dark tunnel/hallway expecting us to follow, not even glancing back to make sure we did. He walks until we reach a large wooden door. "This is the Pit, the heart of Dauntless chaos. You'll have to learn to love it, cause there's no avoiding it even if you wanted to." He kicks the door open to reveal a large cylinder like room with dark stone paths that lead from the ground up many stories to a glass building up above. The paths wind up like the ridges on a screw and there are many, many more tunnel like halls off the paths, and on a few of the levels there are storefronts. On the ground, well actually way below ground, level there's a large flat, open  area where people are laughing, fighting, drinking and shouting over one another. On one side of the Pit there's a rusted railing on either side of a bridge like path that leads to a small landing and a hallway slightly larger than most others. The railing goes from each side of the path in a curved line ending in the stone several yards away on either side. Four leads us down a story from the second to the first level in the Pit and I can't help but wonder why only that one path has a railing. The ground everywhere, well everywhere I've been, is uneven and is made of the same stone as the walls and ceiling, however the floor has loose pebbles scattered around that we all continue to kick as we make our way across the Pit in the direction of the railing. 

    "Now this." Four says turning to walk backwards with his arms stretched out to imply that by 'this' he means the railing. "is the Chasm." We approach it and I stand on my toes to bend over the railing looking at the roaring river crashing against sharp rocks far below where we stand, but not far enough to stop the mist of salty water from hitting my face with every huge wave. "The Chasm." Four continues "reminds us that there is a fine line between bravery and stupidity. If you decide to take a swim, you aren't coming back up, well not breathing at least." He says as if he isn't talking about someone jumping to their death. "I'm sure you'll see someone take the jump before your life here in Dauntless ends, just hope it's not you this time." He almost sounds as if he's bored by this statement. It makes me wonder how often this happens here. I still haven't looked up from the water below us when I feel someone push me into the railing.

    "Careful stiff, you might just fall in." Snickers the same Candor boy from the roof, the one who had whistled at me. I take a good look at him for the first time, he has deep hazel eyes and smooth dark hair that is spiked up and to the side a little, he has a strong build and could be considered cute if I didn't know he was such an ass. I face him, stand up taller and clench my fists at my sides.

    "Did I do something wrong to you?" I hiss and he scuffs in response opening his mouth to reply only to be cut off by Four.

    "Keep up." He shouts over his shoulder while crossing the path over the Chasm. He gives me a stern look then turns back around to face forward. We follow, and the path takes us to a hall that has doors scattered on either side. At the end of the hall there is a set of large, metal double doors. Four pushes open the doors and we are met with the brightest room yet, besides the actual sunlight let in the Pit by the glass above. We are also met by the members of Dauntless standing, yelling and clapping for us as we make our way into the dining hall. The room is large and packed end to end with tables and tight pathways throughout the room. On the far wall is a kitchen and a cafeteria style food line that is currently empty. The room is roaring with excitement and energy, I can't help but smile and think that this is where I truly belong.

AN: Thank you for reading. I know this might not be how you all picture the Pit, but this is how I see it in my mind. Anyways, I hope you liked this week's update, please comment and vote, thank you, and until next week.