Chapter 5: The Necklace

Start from the beginning

I fell to the seat next to him and laid my back against the chair, wondering what I had gotten myself into. Sal, on the other hand, saw my frustration and decided to lighten my mood. She let out the best "I am happy you should be happy voice" and began to talk.  

"Look Naina, do not freak out! This is still gonna be awesome!"  

"Really?" My voice said with dubious doubt, and that was when I noticed a smile on Sal's face I hadn't seen in years. "Oh God Sal, what have you done?"  

She grabbed my suitcase and ran off with it. "What the hell!?" I yelled from behind. I should have ran, but I was too tired to even get up. Fifteen minutes passed and no Sal. I started to get worried, not because she might miss her flight, but because I MIGHT NOT HAVE ANY CLOTHES TO WEAR! 

"Have you guys seen Sal?" I asked Raj and Aman. They both shrugged and Aman looked from behind and whispered.  

"Speaking of the devil." I turned to see Sal holding a red colored suitcase instead of my purple one.  

"Here is your suitcase Naina."  

"Sal. This is not my suitcase! I don't know what this is! What the hell did you do?!"  

"Okay. Look Naina. I bought you decent clothes to wear so you can actually look presentable in Europe! Also, when we get to Europe, we are gonna change your look completely! It will be a fresh start. Do not try to argue with me because you and I both know this is your only chance of freedom."  

"Fine. Whatever. What did you pack anyways?" I asked, not really mad at her. I began to open my suitcase, and when I saw the contents of the bag, my eyes widened. My eyes and mouth were as wide as the moon in just a few seconds. Raj and Aman looked over my shoulders and started laughing so hard, that they both collapsed onto the ground.  

"What the hell is that!?!?!" I said, pointing to a skimpy outfit covering about as much as my bra and underwear do.  

"It's called a bikini." Sal replied slowly, shaking her head. 

"You....Mean.....You....Will...Get...Naina...To...Wear...A...Bikini?!? You...Are.....Insane!!" Raj screeched between his laughs.  

"Raj...Is...Right....Naina....Will....Look...I.. Can't...Even...Imagine...It!!" Aman yelped, gasping for air between his laughter, exactly like Raj.  

I don't know why Aman and Raj's comments hurt me so much, but all I knew was that what I said next, was gonna be something I regretted.

"Shut up you morons. Sal, I don't care what you do, but I WILL wear this bikini and you guys will NOT have the last laugh." Raj and Aman stopped laughing, stared at me, stared at each other, and burst into laughter again.  

"Naina, just ignore these idiots. Wait, so are you gonna look for the necklace when we get to Paris?" My eyes widened as I tried to signal Sal to shut up, but she kept on talking. "You know? The one your grandma gave you to find true love or something!"  

"What necklace?" Raj said eyeing me like a hawk.  

"It's nothing." I said quietly.  

"Oh shut up Naina." Sal said to me and then turned her back on me to speak to Raj. "When Naina went to her cousin's wedding in France, her grandma gave her a necklace. It was the same one that her grandpa gave to her grandma. Anyways, she told Naina to bury it in the park and told her that if she ever came back, to check if it was there. If it's not there anymore, true love will be found. Also, her grandma wrote Naina's address on it! It's kind of crazy of her to do that, but anyways, she said that if a person who had it comes and gives it to her, then that means she is destined to marry them."  

"Yeah...my grandma's crazy. No I'm not gonna check for the necklace! That's too much work! And I'm pretty sure a hobo found it by now."  

"All passengers for gate 56A, you are now boarding. I repeat, all passengers for gate 56A, you are now boarding." 

"Lets go." I grabbed my new suitcase and began to walk towards the gate, until I felt Raj grab my hand.  

"Yeah Raj...?"  

"Why did your grandma do that?"  

"She had a weird vision. I don't know, my grandma's crazy! Plus, I don't believe in that stupid stuff."  

"What if some guy actually brought it to you? Would you believe he's the one?"  

"I guess...I mean if he went through ALL that trouble to find me, then maybe my grandma's not so crazy after all." I turned back to make my way towards the gate.

When I looked back at Raj and Aman, they were discussing something important. Raj was trying to get Aman to agree to something, and Aman had finally nodded in agreement. Raj's smile widened so much it kind of looked like his face was going to break.

"Your ticket?" The lady asked me.  

"Oh yes! Here you go."

I tried not to think about it too much as I went towards the plane to find my seat.