Level Six: That Was Lovely.

Začít od začátku

"And happily married." Chance added frowning at the red-head.

Kayla backed off with a giggle knowing how protective Chance was of his brothers'. I finished the last of the scrambled eggs—I made sure to make some sunny side up because there were freaks in the house who liked eggs that way. "Breakfast is ready, who is going to get Ricardo?" I asked pouring the pan of scrambled eggs into a large plate.

No one replied.

I think I heard a cricket sing.

I rolled my eyes, "Someone is going to get him and it isn't me because we all know how much that man hates me." I said with a sweet tone although my poor heart was crying because it was true.

"He does not hate you." Kayla rolls her eyes.

"He's secretly in love with you." Minnie smirks.

Chance and Kayla gasp, "Wouldn't that be a plot twist?" Kayla demanded loudly as my cheeks began to turn tomato red. JC was laughing his ass off and Minnie beamed at me before I could glare ice daggers at her.

Abort, abort, abort! My mind was screaming.

Was this it? Is this where my secret would come out?

"What's going on?" Ricardo's annoyed voice cruised into the room.

My heart dropped and everyone quieted down. JC quickly dashed out the room with the plate of eggs. Minnie busied herself with the freshly baked cookies she made. Kayla was smirking and Chance was pretending to see unicorns on the floor. Ricardo's sharp gaze swept the room before they landed on me and for some reason I really wanted to melt into the wall.

My insides were turned to mush.

"We were talking about your undying love for Claire." Kayla doesn't shy away. It wasn't in her nature to back down from anyone.

My heart skips a beat and I hold my breath as Ricardo narrows his eyes, "Where would you get a ridiculous idea like that?" He asks smoothly. His words piercing my poor heart and I could practically hear the oxygen slipping out. For a moment, I couldn't breathe. Minnie was shooting daggers at Kayla and I heard JC curse in the dining room.

There was a lump in my throat as everyone was silent. Kayla, who seemed taken back by his comment, shrugged, "It isn't ridiculous. I mean, you do treat her differently then the rest of us." She explained defending me and my emotions.

Ricardo glanced at me and I wasn't sure what expression I had on my face but I didn't hide it from him. He blinks slowly and remarks to Kayla, "I thought my dislike for her was obvious. If, for some ungodly reason, did like her, don't you think I'd shown interest in her?" His words are like knives in my heart and I almost have an urge to run past him and into my room but no that would give everything away.

Kayla bristled, "And what, may I ask, is so bad about Claire? She's awesome!"

"K-Kayla," I called with a sigh.

This wasn't turning out good.

"No, I want to know what the fuck is his problem with you? What's wrong with Claire that you dislike her so damn much?" Kayla demands. Oh my god, no, please stop this.

I opened my mouth to stop the conversation but Ricardo was fuming and his words sliced through the air cruelly, "She's a fucking brat and immature with her smart ass comments and her goddamn smirk. She infuriates me to no end."

There it goes, I can hear my heart dying. I don't think I've ever heard someone take off on me. Everyone was dead silent. Kayla's eyes narrowing with fury while Minnie reached out to grab my hand in what I knew was comfort. I was silent—unsure what to say. JC stormed in, "You piece of shit, man! Claire is the damn best person in this whole house! She's the most caring and innocent and funny and cool person ever! Any guy would be lucky to have her!" JC spat at Ricardo going chest to chest with Ricardo.

Ricardo stepped away from JC but before Ricardo could do any more damage, I spoke. "That's enough," My voice cut through the thick air as I held my emotions back and frowned at my friends', "I don't appreciate you guys acting like I'm not here. I can hear everything."

"He's talking shit about you!" Kayla snapped angrily.

"Ricardo is entitled to his opinion." I said softly.

"Claire, you know it's more then that!" JC said looking very sad and upset.

I shrugged, "Is it?" I asked with a shake of my head, "I like him, okay? Well, I liked Ricardo. It's a silly crush and obviously he doesn't feel the same. That's the end of it, there isn't a need to make a fuss." I spoke through the rejection and pain in my heart. Camping, now, didn't sound appealing or fun. Ricardo had ruined the appeal.

I was greeted with silence. I smiled softly, "I'm going up to my room." I said quietly and walked by everyone without another word. No one spoke as I went up the stairs—I only heard shuffling. Leon was in the living room looking really bothered. We locked eyes. He shook his head, "That was a dick move." He says quietly.

I shrug, "We're talking about Ricardo. I'd be surprised if he wasn't a dick." I answered a bit dully before going towards my room. I closed and locked the door before slinking onto my bed. I buried my face into my pillow but didn't let myself cry. I just closed my eyes and tried to steady my breathing and heart.

Well, that was lovely.

I groaned quietly. Why did Kayla have to say anything? I couldn't blame her...Ricardo shouldn't have been such a dick though. I was definitely not camping—that was very clear. I didn't want to face Ricardo again or anyone for that matter. Perhaps it was time to see my mom? I had a few days to kill now. It was better then facing Ricardo.

I guess running away it is then! I quickly jumped up on my feet and began packing. I sent a quick text to someone who would be able to get me an air ticket for cheap. I was shuffling around quickly as I muttered to myself and reminded that if I were to stay longer, I'd have to send a message to my professors so that they could send my homework via email.

There was knock on my door.

"What?" I said not wanting to deal with visitors.

"Claire, it's me." Fuck, it was Ricardo. What did that dick want?

"Fuck off." I snapped and continued to pack.

Fuck this shit, I'm going to Mexico.

©2017 - 2018 by Vaniee Madera. All Rights Reserved.