9. Pretend, Avoid, Survive

Começar do início

"What?"

"If this is a stakeout, who are we staking out?"

He put a pillow over his head. She heard a muffled "Never mind." Then he threw it on the floor and placed his one pillow properly under his head.

"You know," she said. "In the questionnaire, I never said I wanted to sleep with you. I said... you were attractive. Which, from an objective point of view, you know yourself you are."

Booth laughed. "Nah, nah. You can't get out of this one, Bones. The question was 'Are you attracted to your partner."

Oh.

"I read it wrong then."

"You don't read wrong, missy."

"Oh."

She couldn't find anything to say to help herself. So she shut up. As she went to turn her back to him and find some sleep, he whispered,

"Temperance?"

The butterflies Angela always referred to made their way inside her, tickling the pit of her stomach. She felt naked. She probably blushed but the darkness of the night covered it up.

"Wow, that was weird," she murmured.

"What?"

"You. Calling me 'Temperance'. In bed."

They both chuckled like little kids.

"Tempe?"

She laughed. "No, don't call me that. That's just wrong."

"Why? People call you 'Tempe'."

"You don't."

He brought his face closer, an inch separating their noses.

"Bones?" he whispered again, lower. Sexier.

If the Devil exist, he's right there, in your face.

Her lips parted. If he didn't back off in 5 steamboats, she'd kiss him. 1... 2... 3... 4...

His eyes danced on her parted lips.

5... Let's say 7 steamboats, then. 6...

"What's in the metallic mystery box?" he whispered.

She laughed and breathed out at the same time, turning her back to him.

"G'night, Booth."

"Night."

The mother of all headaches woke her up. Her eyelids were glued shut. She felt trapped, like she was under a ton of bricks. It took her a while to realize it was only Booth's arm wrapped around her.

...

... ...

... ... ... What?!

Her back was turned to him. She was holding his hand, his forearm pressed against her chest, his fingers against her lips. She stopped breathing. Her eyes now wide open, she willed herself not to move. She needed to pee. Badly. But she didn't want to move. Firstly, because it would probably wake him up, and she was not ready for the awkwardness yet. Secondly, because this felt good. Seriously good.

He was spooning her. One of his leg was slid between hers, their feet tangled up. Her feet were always cold. Not this morning.

She heard him sigh in his sleep and she let him pull her closer. Perfect match. She felt his slow and steady breath in her hair, near her neck. Mmm... God! She had to pee.

Booth woke up and realized he was holding her really tightly against him. Hoping she was still sleeping, he wondered what to do. Pretending to be still fast asleep, he mumbled and sighed, detached himself from her and turned to his other side, freeing her.