The Spirit is Willing, but the Flesh is Weak

Start from the beginning

Raph's faded green eyes rested on me for a moment, and when he perceived I wasn't saying any more they fell to the ground. I watched as my hotheaded brother turned and slowly left the room.

Raph... I reached out with one hand, but the appendage slowly fell back to my side. I couldn't find the words. I lowered my head with regret. What kind of brother am I? Raphael's in pain and I can't even do anything to comfort him.

The next day Raph pretended as though the whole thing had never even happened. He insisted on taking me out and getting me back in shape.

I did what I could, but I still felt horrible. I took some of the medicine Don gave me, but it didn't make me feel any better. If anything the medicine made it worse. I felt bad for disappointing Raph, but he was real gentle about it.

Honestly. I hate the way everyone treats me like I'm made of glass.

If I can get over this, I hope I'm able to do it soon. Otherwise I think my brothers obsessing over me will drive me nuts.

At least Raph seems to get it though.

I mean, he's worried and all, that much is obvious, but at least he lets me try and do things on my own. He only helps when I need him to.

There is something different about him though. I realized that out of all three of my brothers, Raph seems to have taken a really active role in the family. I was surprised because Raphael always seemed to keep mostly to himself, but now it looks like all of that has changed.

My lips curved upward into a small smile. I still remember how shocked I was when I arrived in the kitchen this morning to find Raph making breakfast.

Earlier this morning...

He'd turned towards me with an eye-ridge raised. "You up already?"

I just stared.

He ignored my stupefied expression and shrugged. "Well I guess you did always like an early start." He paused a moment to look in the fridge. "How do you like your eggs?" he asked.

I stared a moment longer, then shook it off. I couldn't believe it. I smiled. Then I realized Raph was offering me breakfast...cooked by him. I winced. "Umm...on second thought, I'll pass."

Green eyes glared. For a moment that familiar fire surfaced, but it was gone as quickly as it had appeared. "You have to eat, Leo. You're still recovering."

I sat at the counter and rested my arms on it. "That's alright. I'll wait till Mikey gets up."

"Mikey's gone. He's busy feeding the chickens. I got up at four to make breakfast for them."

I stared once again. Raph never woke up before eight o'clock. Wait...he made breakfast for the others?!

He must have heard the unspoken question. "I started cooking so that Mikey didn't have to get up even earlier. He already had enough on his plate taking care of all the animals and everything." Raph sighed. "Poor kid was exhausted."

I was slightly surprised. I would have thought that if animals were involved, Raph would have been taking care of that. He was surprisingly good with that sort of thing.

The surprise on my face must have been visible. Because he added, "I would have switched jobs with him, but I needed to stay at the farmhouse in case you-" He cut himself off abruptly. Then he changed the subject. "So, how do you want your eggs?"

"Sunny side up." I answered automatically.

"Sure, three eggs comin' up."

End Flashback.