"They are traitors to the Emperor, mere dogs, who deserve to be put down."

I marched right up to her. "They fight for Talos. They fight for our right to worship whoever we please! If that makes them dogs who deserve to be put down, then I deserve to be put down with them."

"Like I said, I meant no offense." Marina backed away, a blood-blush making her caramel-colored cheeks turn pink. She returned to the table, facing the Jarl. "My lord, my troops are ready to brief your men, if it pleases you."

Balgruuf nodded, face grim. "By all means, Legate."

She nodded in return, then skirted past me on her way to the stairs. I caught her glaring at me just as she left the room.

"Gods, she's uptight," I muttered before returning to the table's side. "Tell me that I won't have to listen to her commands."

"Like she said, Ylva, you swear fealty to no one. So long as you protect my Hold and my people, do as you wish."

I nodded, grabbed my helm, then set it on my head. "Am I dismissed?"

"Yes. Go on. Inform your Companions of the battle to come. We shall need them soon."

"By your command, my lord."

-------

That evening, there were no songs of glory. No drinking or stories. No half-hearted brawls that ended in drunken laughter. No feast fit for a king.

There were only battle preparations.

We ate a light meal, then dismissed to help with various jobs. Farkas, Eirik, and Torvar went off to help build barricades for the open streets. Athis and Njada aided in making sure that Legion's weapons were battle-ready. Tyra and Ria carried weapons to the Skyforge for Eorlund to sharpen. And lastly, Vilkas and I talked battle strategies.

"The wall behind Jorrvaskr will need defending," he said, pointing to a spot on the map of Whiterun. "And there will need to be archers along the front gate."

"What if they have catapults?" I asked. "They would do so much more damage than any squadron of soldiers could."

"If they do, we'll have to find a way to take them out of commission."

"How? There's bound to be rebels crawling all over them."

"What if a dragon helped us?"

"Vilkas, no. I'm not asking Odahviing to help in such trivial, human affairs. This isn't the dragons' war. It's ours. I can't ask that of them. It would be an abuse of our friendship. Let the Legion deal with the catapults. Let's focus on where the Companions can be."

He nodded, although he did not look happy. "Aela and Eirik should be at the Skyforge, shooting their bows down on any Stormcloak that comes over that wall. The rest of us could move through the Imperial ranks, bolstering confidence and lifting morale where it's needed."

I pursed my lips. "All right. Seems reasonable. We should stick in groups of two. That way, we'll have a Shield-Sibling to watch our backs."

"Yes. We can work out pairings tomorrow at dawn."

I sighed, running my hand down my face. I had not been able to stop and rest for even a moment. Not since Odahviing told me the news, since I relayed the news to the Jarl, since I had told the Companions of the upcoming fight. The battle was going to be long and hard tomorrow.

I could not help but feel trepidation for tomorrow. Whiterun had always been a safe haven, a place that families can grow together with no worries of war. "Vilkas, I am frightened."

He pressed a warm hand to my cheek. "Don't be. We'll fight, and we'll win. We have to."

"That's what I'm afraid of."

"Why?"

"If we win, that means the Thalmor are one step closer to becoming tyrants over Skyrim."

"We have no choice, Ylva. The Jarl has called for our aid, and we have to help."

"That does not make this any easier."

He sighed and pressed his gentle, warm lips to my forehead. "Do not be afraid, dear one."

I sank into his chest, sighing as he wrapped his arms around me. He stroked my hair, humming softly as he did so.

"I thought that Whiterun would always be safe," I murmured into his chest, tightening my hold on his frame.

"I did, too. But we can't be distracted by that now."

"I fear we will suffer casualties."

"We are among the finest warriors to ever live." He pulled away, just to tilt my head up to meet his gaze. "We will be fine. We are Companions, after all." Then he pulled me into his arms again. "We will be fine."

I certainly hope you are right, my love.

-------

A/N: Sorry it took so long to publish this! I have been so busy/unmotivated to write. I will be trying to do better, though! The next part should be up soon!
Yet again, there is something I must owe to Emerald_Parrish. Marina Brunelli is her character. Since she's my best friend, and she was the one who encouraged me to get Wattpad, I asked if she would let me give her a nod in my book. Thankfully, she said yes. I hope I can do her justice, since she will be making even more appearances!
Love and sweetrolls!
~WG