; epilogue

Smalls' POV

We all lived in the neighborhood a couple more years -mostly through junior high school- and every summer was great. But none of them came close to that first one. When one guy would move away, we never replaced him on the team with anyone else. We just kept the game going -back in the sandlot- like he was still there.

It was weird that Benny said that Babe Ruth was like the Hercules of baseball, and The Beast's name ended up being Hercules. None of us could figure out what that meant, but we were all amazed by it.

I kept in touch with those guys over the years, and I found out that Yeah-Yeah's parents shipped him off to military school. After the army, he became one of the pioneering developers of bungee jumping. Of course, we all know why.

Bertram, well-Bertram got really into the '60s, and no one ever saw him again.

Timmy and Tommy became an architect and a contractor. They started out small, designing playground equipment and prefabricated tree houses. But they became multimillionaires when they invented mini-malls.

Squints grew up and married Wendy Peffercorn. Yes, Wendy broke it off with Tim. They have nine kids. They bought Vincent's Drugstore and they still own it to this day.

Hamilton Porter became a professional wrestler. You know him as The Great Hambino.

DeNunez played triple-A ball, but he never got to the majors. He owns his own business now, and he coaches a little league team that his sons play on called The Heaters.

Zoey quit the team during the junior year of high school after the girls became an actual softball team in school. She quit because she wanted to focuse on her studies. Now, she is a full time nurse at The Valley's clinic, still single.

Charlie became a full time house-wife and stay at home mom with her five boys. Charlie and Bertram lasted through high school but Charlie lost all home on their relationship when Bertram went missing. So after a while, Charlie got with DeNunez and they're now married with their boys.

Sam kept playing all through her high school years and she even got offered to practice to join the Olympics. But, she denied because that's not how she wanted to live her life. Now she co-coaching the high school's girls' softball team in The Valley.

Hercules lived to be 199 years old-uh, in doggy years.

I was the last one to move away. But when I did, the sandlot was still there.

After Benny pickled The Beast, his reputation spread all over town. From then on, he was known as Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez. And the nickname stuck with him for the rest of his life.

Sam and Benny went all the way through high school together and college even though Sam didn't attend college. She got pregnant on junior year so she couldn't go because she had to take care of the baby. Only Benny went to college. They're very happy together, at least that's what they've told me. Now they're, well, I think it's better if Sam explained it to you.

Sam's POV

"Now pitch running for The Los Angeles Dodgers, Benny 'The Jet' Rodriguez!" The announcer says as Benny takes his spot on the third base. I shout and clap in the dugout as he does that.

Our five year old daughter, Hayley, copies my actions and yells out, "Go Daddy!" But then she pouts when she gets no reaction from her dad. The roar of the crowd prevents Benny from hearing anything.

All of us -the guys and girls- were in our sophomore year when we all met again. A year later, in our junior year Mom and Dad came back and so did Wendy. She did leave when I told her to. When they came back, obviously I didn't talk to them. But I eventually forgave Wendy when she told me that Tim was forcing her to leave Jacob home alone and abandon me with him. And I got super happy when she also told me that they broke up and that she was dating Squints. I was weirded out in the beginning, but I got used to it.

I didn't forgive Mom and Dad and I still haven't. They leave me again after a short period of time back together and after I forgave them for abandoning me when I was little. I felt like I was an orphan again. Today, I'm on speaking terms with them but we're not as "close" as we used to be. I mean I have to be, I have to let them see their grandchildren. I can't do that to them, even if I wanted to.

Jacob is now nine and we talk every single day. He's still my baby even though he complains and says he's just my brother. He was like my baby when I had to take care of him on my own.

Anyways, all of a sudden, Benny starts to slowly move away from the base and then sprints away from it towards home base. I gasp and cover my mouth with my hands. I look around and see the LA Dodgers fans up and cheering.

I look back at Benny and he's nearing home base. He throws himself down and slams his hand on home base just before the catcher places his hand on it as well. I cross my fingers and then Benny is called safe.

"What happened Mommy?" Hayley asks, hugging my right leg with her arms. The crowd erupts into even more cheers as Benny is being lifted by his teammates.

"Daddy won, baby." I smooth down my daughter's hair softly.

She gasps. "Really? Yay!"

I laugh and shake my head at her cuteness and cluelessness.

Suddenly, I fee strong arms wrap around my body and swollen stomach. I look up to see Benny smiling down at me.

"Hey, you came." He says. I smile back.

"Of course I did. We missed you and we weren't going to miss the big championship!"

Benny's smile widens, rubbing my belly. "How are our boys?"

I'm seven months pregnant with twin boys. Benny can't wait for them to be born.

"Kicking. A lot. They're excited that their Daddy won. That was incredible what you did out there." Benny winks at me before leaning in and fitting his mouth to mine. I smile then giggle, his mustache and scruff tickling me.

I pull back. "You should shave."

My husband shakes his head, chuckling softly. Then he leans down, picks up Hayley in his arms, and places a kiss on her cheek.

"Tickles," Giggles Hayley, placing her hands on Benny's face and playfully pushing him away.

"Told you." I comment, making Benny smile and roll his eyes. He starts to talk to our daughter as the fans start to empty out the stadium. I can't help but smile and trace circles on my stomach as I stare at them both.

I, Samantha Rodriguez, am the luckiest girl on Earth with the most perfect family. My life is amazing and I wouldn't have it any other way.

THE END

++++

wow omg i cant believe this is the end. i know it was cliché and cringe worthy (to me anyways), and so was the last chapter, but who doesn't love happy cliché endings?

tear

writing this book has been an amazing journey. thank you everyone who read and voted and commented. all of your support kept me going thank you so so so so much!

unfortunately there is no sequel. i dont want to make one tbh cuz then ill be stretching the story on plus i dont have any time

again thank you so much. check out my other stories if you want and keep an eye out for more!

xo,
Keillyn