chapter 2 - Real Me

Start from the beginning

"Well, honey, I've got work to do, and you both know how I am when I get back from the job," Mom told me.

"Yeah, no, I get it," I told her. "I mean, it's like you could die from sleep deprivation. No, but, see, Mom--" Mom walked into the living room. Dawn and I exchanged a look, following. "That doesn't really work for me. We're just going to the Magic Box. No school supplies there."

"Yeah, Mom, I'm not going to Hogwarts," Dawn told her, giggling at her own joke.

"Look, I'm sure Giles doesn't mind dropping you and your sister off at the mall afterwards," Mom told me.

"Actually, he does mind," I told them. "And so does Buffy. This is supposed to be quality Watcher/Slayer time. I told you, she completely ruined my training yesterday."

"Did not," Dawn told me.

"Oh, you know you did too," I told her.

"Zoey, I realize the importance of your new Slayer thing, but I could really use your help," Mom told me.

I sighed. "Fine. I'll take her after we get what we need."

Mom gave Dawn a look.

Dawn sighed. "Okay. I guess."

"Thank you," Mom told us, walking out, leaving.

Dawn and I gave each other looks.

      •••••  

Giles drove Buffy, Dawn and me in his red convertible down the road, with classical music playing. "Well, I sympathize with you, Buffy. I truly do. But I'm certain that Riley understands better than anyone else the importance of training. You can't allow personal concerns to distract you from--" Dawn reached between the seats to change the radio station. "Dawn, will you stop fiddling with the radio and sit down?"

Dawn sat back, sighing, fidgeting.

I looked at Dawn. "Just relax."

"What do you care?" Dawn asked.

I scoffed softly in amusement. "Can't show concern for my little sis? Fine. Forget I said anything."

I looked away.

Dawn looked at me. 

Buffy studied a piece of paper. "There's a lot of books on this list. Any of them come on tape? You know, read by George Clooney or someone cute like that?"

Dawn and I rolled our eyes.

"You and Zoey are entering a new realm here, Buffy," Giles told her. "One for which I myself am not entirely prepared. Are you ready for this commitment?"

"I'm just kidding," Buffy told us. "Hey, this Buffy's ready. Color me committed."

The car engine raced.

Giles tried to shift. "Blast!"

"You put it in neutral again, huh?" I asked.

"I'm just not used to this automatic transmission," Giles told us. "I--I loathe this sitting here, not contributing." Dawn looked surprised. "No, i--it's not working out."

"Giles, are you breaking up with your car?" I asked in amusement.

"Well, it did seduce me, all red and sporty," Giles told us.

"Little two-door tramp," I told them sarcastically.

Giles looked into the rear view mirror to give me a look.