Murder (?)

I sighed, flipping through the three cases I had as I waited for 8 p.m. so I could go home. None of them were that good.

One was from a kid that said he thought someone stole his ball, and offered to pay me in fake money. I said I would think about it, and then an hour later he came back and said it hadn't been stolen and he had found it under his bed. So that was one case solved, though I wouldn't have taken it anyway.

The next case was from Nikki, who wanted me to find some money for her, since she had none. I wasn't taking that one either, since it could get me sent to jail and she wasn't paying me anyway.

The final case was to find a murderer, who had killed about twenty people at this point. It payed well and if I completed it, it might get more people to come to my detective agency. The only problem was, I only got payed if I was the one that found out who the murderer was and captured them, and there were five other detectives working on the case. So I might do a lot of work for nothing.

I jumped when there was a beeping noise, and looked at my watch to see it was the alarm I set. It was 8.

I smiled and got up, putting the cases in the trash since I figured I wouldn't be doing any of them. I grabbed my coat and headed home, humming happily.

~~~~~

I entered my house, glancing at my watch to see how long it took to get home. Half an hour. Not bad. I looked up as Clover suddenly ran up to me, a large grin on her face.

"Did you get any exciting cases today?!" she asked excitedly. I chuckled.

"No, sorry. Still just getting a lot of junk." I said.

"Hey, don't worry! You're bound to get a good case eventually! I know it!" she said. "And when you do get a good case, it will be the bestest case ever!"

"I hope so." I said, smiling. "Now, where are Ameah and Snake?"

"Oh, they're in the living room, watching TV." she said. "They're watching the science channel again. I don't see how that's entertaining in the slightest. So, I'm reading Zodiac!"

I nodded and walked into the living room, Clover following me. Ameah smiled and got up when she saw me.

"Welcome home." she said, walking over to me and hugging me. I hugged back. After a few seconds, we pulled away.

"So how was work? Any good-paying cases?" she asked.

"No, still nothing." I said and she began to look worried.

"Ethen, we're running low on money. If you don't get a good case soon, we'll have to start selling things and you'll have to get another job." she said.

"I know, I know." I said. "One should come soon."

"Do you know that for certain?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.

"...No." I admitted and she sighed.

"Just keep that in mind if you get a case that pays well, even if you don't like it." she said. I nodded, thinking about the murder case. I'll probably have to do that, wouldn't I.

~~~~~

I headed home early the next day, around 2 p.m., about the time the kids would be coming home from school. I had the murder case with me, and I planned on going over it with Ameah later.

I walked into my house and saw Snake and Ameah in the kitchen, though Clover was nowhere to be seen. The two were talking, Ameah looking worried, while Snake looked confused. I bit my lip, this probably wasn't good.

"What's going on?" I asked, walking into the kitchen. "Where's Clover?"

Ameah looked up, surprised, and bit her lip. "We don't know." she admitted. "Snake says she was on the bus, but he walked in by himself."

"Snake, do you have any idea why Clover might've wandered off? Or where to?" I asked. He shook his head.

"No, I don't. She was actually really excited to come home." he said. I nodded.

"I'm going to go look for her." I said. "See you in a few hours."

~~~~~

It was nighttime now, 10 p.m. to be exact, and there was still no sign of Clover. I asked all her friends, checked all the places she liked to hang out, but there was nothing. I blinked as my phone rang and I pulled it out.

"Hello?" I said.

"Hey Ethen, it's Ameah." she said. "Maybe you should come home. It's been eight hours. You must be hungry or tired or something. You can continue looking for her in the morning. She couldn't have gone far."

"No." I said firmly. "I am not coming home until I find her."

"Well... Alright then. Snake is already in bed but I'll try to stay up until you come home. Bye. Love you." she said and she hung up. I sighed and put my phone away, wondering where to check next.

I eventually decided on the alleys. Clover sometimes liked the quiet, and the alleys were the quietest you could get in this part of the city.

I checked alley after alley and finally, after an hour, I found something. I was just a strange shape in the back of one of the alleys, and I couldn't really tell what it was due to the fact it was almost completely obscured by shadows.

I started walking towards the shape, wondering if it could somehow help me on my search for Clover. But as I got closer, I started seeing things I recognized. A pink and black puffy jacket, pink and white earmuffs, a checkered skirt. I blinked in surprise and ran towards the shape, hoping it wasn't what I thought it was.

It was.

Clover's body lay on the ground, a look of terror on her face, her clothes very bloody, and her eyes were glassy. I've seen enough dead bodies, being a detective, to know this was one. And she was almost definitely murdered.

I then noticed an envelope laying besides her body, partially covered in blood. I picked it up, my hands shaking, careful not to touch the blood-stained spots. I hesitated for a few moments before I finally opened it.

Well, Ethen. Hello again. How are you? I just killed your daughter, how does that make you feel? Frightened? Angry? Sad?

Anyway, you shouldn't allow yourself to grieve for long, since I'll be coming after your son next. Then your wife.

And then you.

From,
Ink

The letter was written using cut-out letters from magazine and newspapers, probably to hide the handwriting of whoever wrote it.

I wondered who this 'Ink' was though, since I didn't know anyone named that but they obviously knew me. Why did they hate me? If they were just killing for fun, they wouldn't have left a note saying they would kill the rest of my family, and then me.

I shook my head, that didn't matter right now. I shakily took out my phone and dialed Ameah's number.

"H-Hey Ameah, I-I found Clover."

A/N: So, this one is a bit dark (is it darker than 999? I don't know), and I'll probably not do it, unless you guys want me to of course. Um, the rest of the book will just be Ethen trying to figure out who Ink is. That's pretty much it. So... Yeah. If I do this book, this part will probably be split up into multiple chapters, with more information in each.

Ameah is owned by Ameah1234 .