Chapter 2

I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock. I groaned as I got up and made my way to the bathroom. Once I was done in there I made my way downstairs to get some cereal. I grabbed the box and milk and rested them on the counter. But as I reached for the bowl I spotted a figure through the corner of my eye causing me to jump and the bowl to fly out of my grasp shattering on the floor.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you." Said a calm but familiar voice. I turned to see Brooke picking up the broken pieces and throwing them away. She was once again wearing a hoodie. It was red with the word "hypocrite" written across it in black. She matched it with black tights, a red head band, and a pair of red converse. I, on the other hand, had on a pink long sleeve tee with white polka dots, pink tights, white vans and a white head band.

"Don't worry about it." I said as I helped her pick up the rest of the bowl pieces. "So what are you doing here anyway?" She paused. "Running only makes it worse." "Why do keep saying that?" "You'll find out when the time comes."

I was about to ask her more when I decided to just let it go and get ready for school.

-----

As I exited the classroom I was in for last period I spotted Brooke watching me from a distance. I continued down the hall and I could feel her gaze fixed on me. When I couldn't take it anymore I turned around and confronted her. "What's your problem? Are you my watchdog now or something?" "Run-" I cut her off saying, "Don't you dare start with this 'running only makes it worse' shit again. I'm tired of hearing it." "But Anastasia, you've only heard it like three times." "Yes. And I don't want to hear it again."

I grabbed my stuff and made my way out of the school building. Once I got outside I mentally debated if I should go home through the woods again or just stick with the sidewalk.

When I go through the woods, weird things happen. But then again, the sidewalk is boring. Through the woods it is!

I turned left and headed straight for the woods. I walked through the clearing and ducked under trees. (The branches that hang low.) And when I was almost to my house I heard shuffling behind me. I walked a bit faster until my house was in view. I stepped out of the woods with one foot and as I lifted my other foot it was grabbed and pulled upwards. I flew up and was now hanging upside down by one foot. I heard a growl and a deep voice say "get used to this". I was confused. Then I heard a hiss. I could feel the person getting closer to me until they were so close I could feel them breathing on my neck.

Another hiss was heard before I felt by foot come loose from the persons grip and I started falling. I was caught by someone and gently rested on the ground. The person who caught me somehow made the other person flee before helping me up. I started to say thank you before I saw who it was. Brooke. She helped me to my house but remained in the doorway. "Remember. Running only makes it worse." She said before shutting the door. I ran to the door and opened it but she was nowhere to be seen. She was gone. But I knew she would return.

-----

I sat in my bed eating popcorn and scrolling through my twitter feed just thinking.

What's going on? Why does she keep helping me? What does she mean by 'running only makes it worse'? Why do people keep chasing me? What the hell was that shadowy figure thing?

Ugh! Why does all of this have to so fucking confusing? I'm stressed. I need some food and shit.