Chapter 6

Chapter 6

She awoke the sound of maids running around the house. Her maid stepped in and she finally got to ask what all the commotion was about. “Well my lady, the Duke of Wolverstone is coming today.” Said her maid.

Now she recalled that last night her father had tolled, “yes, I remember now. Bring me water so I can bathe and also prepare my breakfast.”

“Yes my lady.” Said the maid stepping out. She returned a few minutes later with buckets of warm water and filled her porcelain washbasin and once again stepping out leaving Jenny alone to bathe. Jenny slipped out of her nightgown and stepped into the warm bath. As the water surrounded her she felt her muscles relax, and she smiled at the pleasure.

When she was dome she called the maid to take out the water and ask if her breakfast was ready. Jenny got dressed in the most elegant and conservative gown she owned. It was the color of moss and it made her look much older than she actually was. She sighed as she sat down to eat her breakfast. Last night had been the latest she had ever stayed out and she was surprised to find that she was not tired at all.

There was a knock at her door and her mother came in, “I see you are awake.” Said her mother inspecting her closer. Her mother had once been once been beautiful but over time the effects of having to be perfect caught up her. Her once bright green eyes had lost their glow now they just watched with no emotion. “Your father sent me here to tell you something.” Her mother sat and looked at her, “he wants you to marry the Duke.”

She was stunned, her father wanted her to marry him, but she could not she was interested in him the only person she wanted was Stan. Since last night she could not get him out of her mind. She knew that she did not have a chance to be with him, but she could still dream.

She thought of the Duke, he was handsome and the biggest catch of the season, but she felt nothing for him. But telling her mother that would do no good she would not want to hear it.

Her mother went on,” I understand that the attire you have now will not help you catch the Duke’s eye.”

That caught her attention, if her mother was going to buy her new clothes this had to be important.”New clothes?”

“Yes, the clothes you have now make you look much older than you are.” said her mother.

“Can Vanessa help me pick out what to wear?” jenny asked her mother.

“I don’t see why she dresses like a widow.” her mother said.

Jenny smiled and went to tell her mother of how they people said that Vanessa used to be one of the best dressed ladies until a few years ago. “This my first time choosing different clothing and I feel like she can really help me with the latest fashions.”

Her mother thought about it for a moment and agreed to her friend helping her shop. She immediately wrote a letter to Vanessa to ask her if she would help and sent it on with a messenger boy.

“When will the Duke be here mother?” Jenny asked.

“”he will be here for dinner so I’m sure you will be able to get a proper gown by then.”  Said her mother rising and walking to the door.

An hour later Vanessa and her were heading towards a shop that Vanessa said was one of the best but was yet to be discovered fully by society. She was surprised when she got a reply from Vanessa saying she would go. “It has been so long since I came here.” Said Vanessa with a sigh.

“Well, I’m glad you agreed to come. If it wasn’t for you I would not know were to go.” Said Jenny laughing.

Vanessa smiled and led her to the front of the dress shop. Suddenly jenny was not so sure the place looked rundown. “Don’t worry this is a great place.” Said Vanessa holding the door open for her.

When she walked inside she saw that Vanessa was right, the inside did not resemble the outside. The inside looked splendid the far wall covered from top to bottom in mirrors. The walls painted a light purple that gave the room gentleness.

“Good afternoon ladies” said the store owner, she gave them a quick up and down look. “How may I help you?”

“Well, we need a new wardrobe here for my friend. Please show me dresses in blue hues, gold, pink, and yellow.” Said Vanessa.

The store owner quickly walked to another room to look fro the dresses that Vanessa had described. They took a seat and waited for the woman to come back.

Two hours later they had picked a new wardrobe for her and she was also taking a dress home. The person hat had ordered it had not come to pick it up and it fit Jenny great.

“Jenny we were so busy that I forgot to ask why you needed new clothes.” Asked Vanessa.

Jenny smiled, “my mother wants me to look pretty for the man she wants me to marry.”

“Really, well that is a good reason for a new wardrobe.” She laughed, “And who is the lucky guy?”

“In my parents mind they thing it will be Sebastian, the Duke of Wolverstone.” Said Jenny with a smile.

“Oh, well he is a very lucky man. Well I hope it goes well, I must go buy some things of my own and I know you have to o get ready.” Said Vanessa walking away.

“Okay well goodbye.” Jenny called after her and headed to her carriage. Just as she started walking she felt like someone was behind her. She turned around to find those blue eyes looking at her again.

“My dear, once again you are alone. That shouldn’t be let me accompany you to wherever you are going.” Said Stan coming up to her side and taking her hand.

“Well, I was heading to my carriage.” She said shyly.

“Still you must not be alone; something bad might happen to you.” He said near her ear, she felt his breath on her ear and it made her shiver.

“Here you are safe at your carriage. If you will excuse m I must leave.” He said leaving her by her carriage.

She climbed up and during the drive home all she could think about was Stan.