An Unconventional Home

"You are slow!" Paritosh slowed down to let Rupali catch up.

"I am tired. Haven't slept well."

"So, I am to be blamed?" he arched his eyebrows.

"Who else?"

He sighed, no longer looking playful; then slowed down and then stopped altogether. She followed the suit.

"You have spoiled me, Rupali. It's going to be difficult, after you are gone."

"It's your doing. You can still stop me."

"I can't do that."

"Shall I defy you then?"

"No. I won't let you do that either."

"You are a masochist then; and a sadist too."

"And crazy, and pigheaded. You are forgetting the list..."

She grinned, "Yes. All that too."

"Will you still continue to love me?"

"On one condition?"

"Condition?" he chuckled.

"You have to allow me a few things."

His amusement disappeared and he became attentive. "What?"

"You need to let me..." she bit her lips.

"Go on, Rupali," he urged, although his chest tightened in the anticipation of her asking for the freedom he would have to grant her, but being a man in love he didn't want to.

"You need to let me continue employing Shanti after I have left." She maintained a straight face, but a mischievous glint appeared in her eyes.

He had tried to conceal his agitation, but he didn't try to conceal his relief as he let out the breath he had been holding. He, then, shook his head even as a smile reappeared on his face.

"Come on. Whatever it was that you had imagined I was asking to be allowed, it is nothing compared to that, is it?"

"Rupali. You are wicked."

"Please. Eating properly is no sin. And when I visit, we'd need her anyway. I promise you, I am going to visit more often than you would like me to."

"What can I say? You are the temptress in my life!"

"And you have to promise not to fly in rage if I get you a small gift or two. Please, please, please!"

He grew thoughtful, "I guess it would be unfair to ask you to love me on my conditions. You don't need my permission, Rupali. I have accepted you; so I will try my best to accept whatever you think is right."

"And try to be happy too?"

"I am very happy already. But what about you? I still won't have money to buy you gifts or indulge you."

"I can buy whatever I want. You have given me the gift of a purpose in my life. And a home which I can keep coming back to. That will last me a lifetime and more."

"A home?"

"Yes."

He took a deep breath, "Shall we go back now?"

"Sure."

"What are you thinking so hard about?" she asked when they reached his house, which came before hers.

"This isn't much of a home, Rupali. You would want more someday."

"Don't confuse means with ends, Prof. Khanna. People set up homes of certain kind so that they can spend their lives with the ones they love. It isn't the other way round. At least, it shouldn't be. I have an unconventional home, but the end I achieve with it is the same."

"What about kids?"

She stiffened on hearing that and spoke after a long pause, "Do you want kids?"

"We were talking about you, Rupali."

"Do you want kids?" she repeated.

"They don't have a place in my lifestyle, but..."

"I don't know if it will change in future, but I don't want to bring a child in this world, Prof. Khanna. It's... I would never be sure that she is safe."

"That's a very negative attitude to have..."

"There are so many children in this world who need love and care; can't we just be happy serving them for now? And cross this bridge when we come to it, if at all. Please?"

Although they were out in the open, nobody was around at that early hour. He cupped her face and planted a kiss on her forehead. "I told you, I am already very happy."

"So am I!"

"Just stop calling me Prof. Khanna and Sir!" he grinned.

She blushed. It wasn't the first time he had asked her to do so. But the habit was difficult to let go. "I will try," she mumbled.

"Start right away!"

"I love you... Paritosh," she observed his startled expression from the corner of her eyes.

"In that case," he said taking hold of her arms, "You need to come in before going home."

- The End -

Liked the story? Check out my books on Kindle:

- Her Hero: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015GAH1Y6
- Tough Love: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015HGIK5S
- Ultimate Realization: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015HGIKHG
- Ultimate Trust: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0169AL2BK