Chapter One

---Six Months Later---

"It was amazing Nat, you should've been there."

"I'm sure it was."

"Aw come on can't you show an ounce more enthusiasm for your best friend after the best date of her life?" Nicole whined.

"It just keeps getting better and better." I drawled.

"Hey-" I could almost see her pout. "It's not my fault my boyfriends just keep getting hotter, and hotter, and hott-"

"I get the point."

"Yeah well, you asked how it went."

"And I ended up regretting it."

"Look, I gotta go, 'kay? He's calling me right now!" She said this last part in a high whisper, like she didn't want anyone to hear.

"Yeah. Ok. Bye." I ended the call.

The little red light blinked. Four and a half miles, and I was barely breaking a sweat. I turned the knob to the right, and I started to run faster.

"Hey. No need to kill yourself. Itd be a pity to lose a perfectly good butt to stare at." A guy not even half decent looking winked.

I ignored him.

Three and a half miles later, I turned the machine off, and stepped off the treadmill, the last thing I did everyday at the gym.

"It gets kind of boring doesn't it?"

Dylan said from behind me.

"Yeah. Six months is a little too quiet. Somethings gotta come up sooner or later." I replied without missing a beat.

"Don't you find it strange? There's been nothing serious enough for us."

"No. There was the governor's brother. Devin Spille's wife. Etcetera."

"I know. But those were small cases. I'm really digging some excitement right now."

I laughed. "Aren't we all?"

"Ha. I am actually kind of wishing John Banks and his little crew would rise from the dead or something." He put his arm around my waist, and I swatted it away.

I laughed, because i knew he meant it as a joke, but inside I felt all queasy, and not because of the skin to skin contact. "Yeah." was all i said.

I waved as we parted our different ways.

I hoped I never saw John Banks again. I killed him myself just to be sure of it.

I slid into my porsche cayenne and pulled out of the gym's parking lot.

"hey!" Dylan ran in front of my car, and I hit my brakes.

"You forgot this." he handed me my bag, and I, startled, instinctively reached for it, even though I knew he was holding it.

"Wh-"

Dylan shrugged, and smiled, handing my bag over to me.

"thanks."

I looked inside to make sure everything was inside.

Phone, check.

Makeup, check.

Breath mints, check.

iPod, check.

.22 magnum mini revolver, check.

Extra cash, check.

Everything was in there.

I knew I had it around me when we were talking, so that meant Dylan had snagged it. Why? He didn't touch anything.

I tried to hide my emotions and said thanks.

"No problem." He laughed. "And maybe tomorrow we'll have more excitement."

"Don't jinx it!" I said, laughing too. But i stopped once he was out of earshot.

~~~~~

A/N

Wow. Looking back, that was really short.

Well it was a pretty uneventful chapter, but there'll be more action in the next chapter!

Yeah. It was a pretty cruddy chapter too..

So Vote, Comment, and Fan!