Dances, Dates, and Drama

Start from the beginning

Claire noticed Fred and George whispering to each other; no doubt trying to repeat the alliteration.

"Now to dance is to let the body breathe, inside every girl a secret swan slumbers longing to burst forth and take flight," McGonagall continued.

Claire snorted. "That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard."

"Shhh!" Hermione told her.

"Inside every boy a lordly lion prepared to prance. Mr. Weasley, will you join me." Professor McGonagall was now standing in front of Ron, who had been talking to Harry. Ron looked confused. "Now would be preferable, Mr. Weasley."

Ron hesitantly stood up and followed Professor McGonagall to the middle of the room. The students started snickering; Ron was going to have to dance with Professor McGonagall.

"He's never going to live this down." Claire said to Hermione and Ginny, with a smile.

Hermione rolled her eyes at her friend, while Ginny was trying to stop laughing.

"Miss Smith," Professor McGonagall said.

Claire's smile faltered. She had a bad feeling. "Yes, Professor."

"Come join Mr. Weasley and I," Professor McGonagall said.

Ginny hid her laughs behind her hand. Claire sent a glare at her. Hermione didn't seem to find it funny though. She had an odd look on her face that Claire hadn't seen before.

"Um, thanks for the offer, Professor McGonagall, but I'm perfectly content with sitting here." Claire said. "Besides, I don't know how to dance."

"It wasn't an offer, Miss Smith, it was an order." Professor McGonagall replied. "And the whole purpose of this is to teach you how to dance."

Claire sighed reluctantly and walked to the middle of the room where Ron and Professor McGonagall were standing. The students were still snickering; she could see Ginny and the twins laughing.

"Mr. Weasley, Miss Smith, stand in front of each other face to face please," Professor McGonagall instructed them.

They did as she said. It was obvious the two of them were wishing they weren't there at the moment.

"Miss Smith, Mr. Weasley, take each other's right hand," Professor McGonagall said.

Ron and Claire exchanged looks of disgust.

"Professor, is this really necessary?" Claire questioned.

"Yes, Miss Smith." Professor McGonagall replied. "Now just do as I say."

Claire pulled the bottom of her sleeve over her hand. Ron looked at her strangely.

"What are you doing?" Ron questioned.

"I don't know what you do with your hands, Ronald." Claire said.

Ron rolled his eyes and awkwardly took her hand. Professor McGonagall then positioned their elbows where they were slightly bent and their right hands (which were still together) were leveled with their eyes. When McGonagall finished, she gave them the next step.

"Alright, Miss Smith, place your left hand, lightly, on Mr. Weasley's left shoulder."

Claire did as she was told.

"For the final step, Mr. Weasley, place your hand on the left side of Miss Smith's waist."

"Her what?" "My what?"

All the students were chortling.

"Her waist, Mr. Weasley." McGonagall repeated.

Claire and Ron were blushing bright red in embarrassment as he put his hand on her waist. Fred and George wolf-whistled teasingly causing the students to laugh harder. Claire and Ron both sent them a glare.