My other lover - 7

Panic filled your mind as you managed to rush to the door the mechanic went behind. Jiggling the door knob you discovered the door had been locked behind him.

"Please open the door!" you yelled trying to pound on it with your hand healthy hand. "Please!"

A rectangular opening appeared in the door with the mechanics eyes peering through.

"Can I help you?"

"I need my hand back." you begged as the man stared back at you.

"I'm sorry, hun, a deals a deal." he said with a hint of sadness in his voice as he seemed to pity you.

The slide quickly shut just as tears ran down your cheeks as the man seemed to move away from the door and continued on with what he was doing. The only ray of hope was that the hand would be going to Hyperion where Jack originally needed to go. Surely he would be discovered at some point before the hand had been used in some sort of weapon.

Backing away from the door in defeat, you turned to see Drake waiting impatiently a little distance from the entrance of the garage. No part of you wanted to go with him but he was your only chance of survival on Pandora and you had to hold on until Jack came back for you.

"Let's go! Damn you're slow today!" Drake called out as anger filled you. He seemed to pretend nothing had just happened and easily expected you to just continue to follow him. Having no choice, you wiped your eyes trying to hide any sign of distress and moved your legs toward where he stood.

When the distance had finally closed between the two of you he smiled and turned on his heel.

"Alright let's head back to the hole and continue to the right this time." he said pulling out his map. "Surely there will be something today."

The walk back to the hole began as a lump in your throat stayed in place. Occasionally you would look around hoping to see Jack walking beside you or show that he was in the area. But instead you saw nothing.

Jack seemed sincere last night that he wanted to be with you and that he wanted to give you a better life. Hopefully he would keep good on his promise and not just used you to get back to his base.

"This seems like a good spot..." Drake said snapping you from your thoughts. Without you realizing, you had made it to the hole and past to a spot he felt confident in.

Along the way he had found the shovel and held it in his hand before passing it to you.

"I'll patrol the area and you start digging." he said folding the map and placing it safely in his pocket.

"What?" you asked in shock as you still kept the towel wrapped around where you had been cut. "I can't dig like this...."

"You better figure it out, hun, we're burning daylight." he said in a more intimidating voice.

Stalking off in a different direction, you picked up the shovel from the ground and help it in your good hand. The urge to run straight into the desert seemed more appealing but the small hope that Jack would come back kept you in place.

Slamming the shovel tip into the loose dirt, you tried your best to dig. Between the sun beating down on your back and the pain from being cut, you thought you might faint a few times trying to dig the hole. Normally your hole would be near perfect but this had been a new disadvantage. The hole was misshapen and not as deep as the others had been. A few spots on blood stained some dirt as your nose would start to bleed from the amount of energy being put into digging.

"This isn't working..." Drake said appearing at the top of the not so deep hole. "You're just not on your A game today."

"I can't do this." you said feeling the lump in your throat start back again. "It's too hard."

"Well you've been digging all day and we're just about out of sunlight." he said looking into the sky. "You stay in this hole for the night. I'll sleep in the cave."

"W-what?"

"It's going to be too hard trying to get you out so just stay down there. You'll be fine." he said before leaving the opening of the hole and disappearing.

Your heart felt like it would break from desperation. You're throat was beginning to feel dry and your cut still pounded from not being properly cleaned.

The sun had not long after went down and a few stars lit the sky. The Hyperion station could be seen in the far distance overlooking the planet. Keeping your eyes locked on it, you began to fantasize of a better life there away from Drake and the dangers of Pandora. A small light shooting into the sky caught your attention. The trail looked as if it came from the direction of the garage. Hope filled you as you prayed that was the scraps going to the station with your hand included.

The streak of light had been beautiful across the night sky as you felt it ease your emotions. Closing your eyes, you let sleep take over as you wished Jack's body had been beside you as it had the night before. Sleeping alone felt worse than you remembered knowing what could have been had you been more careful.

~~~To be continued~~~