Suspense Chapter 17

King Gustave, weary and sore after an afternoon's ride around the palace's expansive grounds, settled into his armchair for a much-anticipated hour of restful reading. The volume of choice—A History of Naval Battles—had been missing from its library shelf for several weeks before he was able to claim it at last; he didn't know of anyone else in the castle who had such an avid interest in the topic, but he'd also learned not to be surprised by Callia's various readings-of-the-week.

He had not read more than three pages of the book when his peaceful interlude was interrupted by a tentative knock on the study door.

"Come in," he called with a sigh. He rested his book on the arm of the chair, its spine open to the place where he'd left off. It didn't stay there for long, though; it toppled to the floor with a flop when Gustave jerked in surprise upon seeing who had entered his study.

All seven of his daughters filed into the room, with Eralie at the front and Eurielle bringing up the rear. They stood around him in a semi-circle, each regarding their father with matching anxious expressions. Gustave didn't think that his study had ever held so many people at the same time.

"Yes?" he asked, his eyes skimming over the entire line of princesses as he contemplated the meaning behind such an unprecedented visit.

"Father, we have something we need to discuss with you," said Cliodne softly. He waited expectantly for her to continue, his raised brows nearly reaching his hairline.

"Perhaps you should sit down," Eurielle added, then seemed to think better of it, as he was already seated. "Or—never mind..." she trailed off uncomfortably. Silence descended upon the group. His daughters fidgeted and glanced at one other, seeming uncertain about who should speak first. Gustave's impatience increased.

Finally, Eurielle spoke up again.

"There's a magic trapdoor in our bedroom!" Releasing a relieved sigh, Eurielle cast a glance down the line of sisters. "That was easier than I thought it would be."

Gustave was sure that he had heard wrong. "What?"

Eralie stepped forward, breaking the line. "In the floor of our bedroom, we found a trapdoor that leads to a...a passage. A chamber...it's hard to explain. But...that's where we've been going each night, Father."

Thaleia picked up the story. "We haven't been leaving the castle. At least, not that we know of. We haven't been sneaking off to the forest or town or anywhere else. We've just...we found a secret room. And we've been going there."

Gustave pulled together his scattered thoughts and leaned forward in his chair, his brow furrowing in confusion. "But...why?"

Without saying a word, Callia stepped forward and laid a brown paper bundle tied with twine across his knees. Gustave pulled at the twine and the paper fell open, revealing a stack of parchment covered in Callia's neat hand. At the top of the first sheet was written, in elaborate calligraphy, Diamond in the Rough: A Five-Act Drama.

Callia shrugged her shoulders and smiled a little. "We finished it last night, so we're not going back."

Petra deadpanned, "Even if we could, we wouldn't."

His sharp gaze darted to the brown-haired princess. "What do you mean by 'even if we could'?"

Cliodne was the one who answered. "The passage is cursed."