Sanctum Chapter 3

Start from the beginning

As she tucked Cliodne in, she kissed the young woman on top of her many tawny curls. The princess grinned and buried herself into her covers, staring up at the stone ceiling as Valeria finished her rounds. As the last candle was put out, the motherly housekeeper offered one final goodnight wish before securely bolting and locking the door behind her. As much to keep us in as it's meant to keep others out, Cliodne thought slightly resentfully.

All was quiet. The light of a full moon could be seen through the sheer curtains, and somewhere outside an owl had started to hoot. While they were waiting, Cliodne took the time to carefully think about the trapdoor.

Fact: it hadn't ever appeared before tonight, because the girls would have found it before then.

Fact: the way it had appeared had been in no way an illusion only her eyes could see, as all seven princesses had witnessed its sudden appearance.

Conclusion: it was the work of magic. Cliodne shivered involuntarily. She hadn't seen magic—real magic—since she was a little girl, when her father still allowed traveling magicians and sorcerers to enter the kingdom. But that had been a long time ago, before her mother had died, and the closest she had come to witnessing magic since then were the court jesters, which was nothing compared to what she had seen tonight.

So, there's a magic door. Where would it lead? She tried to think of all the possible outcomes of going through the door: another room in the castle, perhaps, or somewhere on the grounds. Maybe it led to the fairy lands. Her stomach filled with a nervous excitement as she thought about all Valeria had told her of the fairies. She had once said that fairies inhabited the woods nearby, but Cliodne had never dared check—not that she would have been allowed to anyway. Maybe it led to the forest. She suddenly felt a surge of dread; she had been taught that the forest was the most dangerous place in the realm, full of murderous men and beasts alike. She had never set foot in the woods, and she had no intention of ever going there.

Cliodne was lost deep in her thoughts, trying to figure out all possible situations and outcomes that might arise from opening the trapdoor, which was why she was startled so badly when she heard stirring from across the room.

Petra sat up in bed, pulled a box of matches out from under her pillow, and lit the candle on her bedside table. One by one, the remaining princesses sat up as well, staring at the only source of light in the room, however small. Cliodne looked towards Eurielle's bed, where soft snoring was coming from. Bless her—the poor girl always fell asleep as soon as the lights were out. Eralie went from her bed to wake her, but Raia was the first to say anything.

"That was the closest we've ever come to being caught, I'd say."

"We must take care not to let it happen again. Even though we got away with it this time, we can only catch so many lucky breaks," Cliodne cautioned.

"What about the tra-tra-trapdoor?" Eurielle yawned as Eralie prodded her to get her awake.

"I'd nearly forgotten that," Callia whispered. "I was so nervous about Valeria."

"Well I haven't forgotten!" Thaleia said, throwing back her covers and leaping from her bed.

"Nor have I," agreed Cliodne, sliding out of her bed and walking to the rug. Together, she and Thaleia pulled back the rug and stared at the trapdoor. All of the other girls followed, though no one made a move.

"Maybe we shouldn't go down there?" Raia whispered. Petra cocked an eyebrow at her sister, then looked at Cliodne.

"We really don't know where it goes," Cliodne said logically. "It could simply lead to the outside. Or maybe to the forest... it could be dangerous, so maybe we should wait for the guards to check it before we just jump in—"