Chapter 1: The Refugee

Deep in the Heart of Freljord, Ashe sits waiting high on the branch of a tree with her bow in hand. The sun setting behind her shines a golden light through the spaces in between the leaves, which reflect off her long silvery hair and cape igniting them in a brilliant fiery orange. She watches a deer graze on what little grass is left sticking out of the snowy forest grounds. Ashe hears a bush ruffle in the distance, and the deer lifts it's head from the ground and twitches one ear. She holds in her breath hoping she hasn't scared the deer off. The deer bends it's head back down continuing to munch the grass. She silently slides an arrow out of the quiver slung across her back, then she notches it on to the bowstring. She carefully aims the tip of the arrow at the heart of the deer. Ashe pinches the end of the arrow and pulls it back toward her face, bringing her shoulder blades together. One deep inhale of air and whoosh! The arrow soared through the air and pierced it's target. The deer lets out a strangled cry that causes Ashe flinch, then falls to the ground on  it's side. The deer died instantly, Ashe thought. Good. The poor creature shouldn't have to die of starvation with this cold weather wilting all the grass. Jumping down from the tree, she lands with a soft thud as her brown leather clan made boots hit the snow. She rises up and takes a few steps forward. Her gold and white colored cloak sweeping just above the snow. She kneels and pulls out a small knife and starts skinning the deer. She strips the skin away from the meat, and she bags meat, then she walks out of the clearing. On her way out a small unnatural ruffling sound emerges from one of the trees behind her, but the fierce and cold Freljord winds muffle the sound from her ears.

Ashe sits on a log in front of a smoking piece of deer meat. She notices the smoke and puts her map and quill down beside her. She slowly turns the stick that the deer meat is cooking on so the meat is now facing upside down. Ashe then walks to her little tent embracing the warmth it provides from the wintry snow that the fire cannot. Pulling out her knife and an arrow from her quiver, she carves the initials A. B. into the arrow's shaft. Humming and ancient clan song to herself quietly as she gets up and walks back outside to check on the roasting deer. She flips it a few more times and sits down on a log that is placed upwards as a stool watching the meat cook. Smoke rises from the crackling bright fire. Crack! Ashe starts to turn towards the noise but she thinks better of the sudden action, If I show signs of awareness the intruder may think I am aware of their presence. She thought. I better just act calm and innocent. She leans forward and turns the stick that the deer is strung onto. She reaches for her knife, as if she were going to cut a piece of the deer for herself, but she suddenly turns around, her cloak whips to the side, and scans her surroundings. Nothing. She thought. "Hello! anybody out there?!" She shouts. No answer. Hmm. Maybe I am just stressed out to the point of being deranged. I need to eat and get some sleep. Ashe trudges back into her tent and searches her bag for a wooden plate, then heads back outside with her knife in the other hand. She cuts a large chunk of the meat and sets it on her plate. Humming as she chews her food she swallows charred meat piece by piece. About ten minutes later Ashe finishes. Standing up and stretching her hands in the air she lets out a loud sigh of relief, then splashes water on the fire leaving it smoldering and smokey. She does this a few more times till the fire is completely out and heads inside her tent closing the entrance flap and tying it closed from inside.

Ashe settles herself on top of her blanket on the floor. It was a finely made quilt, made of dark rich colored furs stitched together by Ashe herself, before she was exiled from her clan.
Her eyes search the tent for her brown leather worn bag. She found it laying under her bow in the back corner of the tent. She pulls a parchment that appears to be the same map she was using earlier out of the bag. She lays down on her side and unrolls the map, then places it on the ground beside her. Ashe pulls out a pencil and starts to make new markings on the map. The map is labeled "Freljord." Hmm where can it be? Maybe it really is just a fable. The Enchanted Frost Queen's Bow. Sigh. Ashe marks off a spot on the map with an X, then she rolls the parchment back up and places it back inside her bag. She rolls on her back, closes her eyes, and she lets out a sigh of relief.

Ashe had one of her most frequently occurring dreams last night. She dreamt that she was walking in the forest of Freljord, and spotted a cavern that produced a strange blue glow that could be seen from the mouth of the cave.

Ashe woke up peacefully the next morning. Her eyes fluttering open every few seconds. She stretches her arms over her head and yawns. I hope today is a beautiful day. Ashe sits up, and rubs the sleep out of her eyes. She grabs her quiver and bow, then heads out of the tent.

Birds, hidden among the campsite's trees, are singing beautiful songs when Ashe emerges from her tent. The young Freljord hunter sweeps the site with her eyes, breathing in the fresh forest air. Most of the snow has melted, but small scattered patches remain. She prepares herself for the daily duties she has to do in order to upkeep her little camp. The first thing she needs to do is fill her water supplies. She knows she used some water to put out the fire last night, but she cannot remember if any water was left.

Bathed in the sunlight, Ashe strides over to the water pail that she used the night before. The yellow grass dampens under the weight of her boots. Taking a glance into the bucket, Ashe lets out a distressful sigh. Ugh... I'll have to refill the bucket. She returns to her tent to retrieve the map, picks up the pail, then sets out to find the nearby stream.

Ashe walks down a trail of leaves that is crafted by rows of tall Freljord trees. She suddenly shouts, "Owe!" The word leaps from Ashe's throat. Pain flares up into her toe, and she start to feel the heat of blood spread inside her boot. She stops in her tracks, and sets her equipment down beside her. She tugs her leather boot off, and sits down to inspect her hurt foot. She is not sure of what caused the pain just yet.