Hat Stall

"Good evening, students. I am Professor Katrin. When we enter the hall, you will gather in the front of the hall." A small witch in long, slate grey robes addressed the crowd. " When I call your name one at a time you will come up to the stool, I will place the hat on your head and you will be sorted into your house." The witch turned to the doors and they opened into a great hall with long, hardwood tables in four lines that stretched to either end of the hall. At the far end, however, there was a platform slightly risen higher than the rest of the room where a long table stretched from wall to wall seated many adults wearing long black robes. In the center of the platform, there was a small wooden stool placed directly in front of the headmistress' podium. Proff. Katrin walked blissfully up to the stool and stood, unrolling her parchment and began reading names aloud.

"Rowan Ranger" She called and a petite, blonde girl stepped out of the crowd and slowly made her way to the stool. She sat quietly, as Proffesor Katrin placed the sorting hat on top of her head. The girl sat very still, eyes closed as the hat opened it's mouth.

"Gryffindor!" It called and the middle right row of tables began cheering loudly as the girl skipped down the stairs to the tables. She was welcomed with open arms. James watched her closely as she sat down between two older girls whom he assumed had to be her sisters.

"James." Atticus elbowed James' arm slightly, "Hm. Rowan, huh?" He grinned at James slyly, "She's a muggleborn, my mum always said that muggleborns are not useful. I don't know though. I'm not prejudice."

"My aunt is muggleborn." James said quietly, thinking about his Aunt Hermoine and the scar she had on her arm where she was marked. "She's got a scar from the second war, it says mudblood."

"Your aunt his Hermoine Granger?" Atticus asked quietly, "So she did marry Ronald Weasley. Not sure what she saw in him, she's a brilliant woman." James gritted his teeth, he knew that Atticus wasn't intentionally being rude, but the fact that he was so calmly speaking against his family was definitely getting at him.

"Yeah, she and I are ver-" James began, but was cut off by Proff. Katrin.

"Atticus Winter." She called and Atticus grinned excitedly at James.

"Well, I'll see you later. Who knows," Atticus was calling back to him through the crowd now, "maybe you will be a Slytherin?" As soon as Atticus made his way to the stool and the sorting hat was placed on his head the hat sprang to life.

"Ahh. A Winter, aye. Well... It must be," The hat paused to think. "Mother was a Hufflepuff, hmm? But you want to follow your father.. So I better go with.. SLYTHERIN!" The center left tables were now erupting into cheers. Kestrial stood next to James now, looking around the crowd. James turned awkwardly to examine the teachers table.

"James S. Potter." Proffesor Katrin finally called out, James looked up in shock almost forgetting what was going on.

"Go." Kestrial whispered softly. James nodded and walked slowly up to the front of the great hall. Professor Katrin flashed a bright smile to James and stepped to the side so the boy could sit on the wooden stool. The hat was placed on James' head slowly and he held his breath. The hat sat quietly for awhile, then suddenly a low, drawing voice crept into Jame's head.

"You're a Potter... I suppose you expect Gryffindor, don't you?" The hat's cold voice broke through James head. He silently agreed with the hat. "But you also just made good friends with a Slytherin, aye?" James again silently agreed. "I will tell you what I told your father, so years ago. Slytherin can lead you on the way to greatness." The hat was quiet for what felt like an eternity for James. He sat staring around the Great Hall as students all through the room began whispering and the only thing James could catch from anything being said was his fathers name, Harry Potter. James could feel his cheeks slowly starting to burn from embarrassment. Finally the hats voice rang through his mind once again. "I believe I have decided where you would do best." The hats voice was more friendly now. The voice rang out loud through hall.