Chapter 3: Thought (All, Subaru)

Start from the beginning

I remember... my father would sometimes be a little mean. I couldn't remember what the words were, but he would use them to motivate me to fight harder. Therefore, I became wary of harsh words.

I spread out on my stomach and moved my legs in a frog motion through the water. My arms scooped hungrily at the water in front of me, propelling me forward.

Perhaps someone punished him by throwing him in the water.

That did make sense, but then again, I had no proof whatsoever that this was the case. I could bring it up with him of course, but I wasn't sure if it was worth the risk of an outburst of rage.

"What are you doing?"

I floundered in the water for a few seconds, spluttering, before I struggled back to the shallows.

"Subaru?" I asked, eyeing the figure in the shadows. His white hair was florescent even in the dim light of sunset. "I'm teaching myself how to swim."

"You looked like you were about to drown," he said bluntly.

"Maybe, but I'm okay. What brings you here?"

"Your stupid splashing."

I sighed inwardly and stepped out of the pool to grab my towel.

"Your hair is quite unique you know, that blonde is like the morning sun."

I eyed Subaru curiously and muttered a modest thanks.

"Is there anything I can do for you?" I asked.

Subaru tisked under his breath and glared at me as I toweled myself down and slipped the coverup over my head. I strode up to him with soft feet and extended my wrist to him.

"Would you like a drink?"

His crimson eyes narrowed, but as his nose flared at the scent my blood must have been giving off, he didn't seem to want to argue. With one of his own hands, he gripped mine lightly and bent to sink his teeth into the delicate skin at my wrist. I clenched my teeth more tightly, but refused to let the pain show on my face.

"Impossible," I felt his lips feather my skin. "Incredibly sweet."

"I'm glad it pleases you."

He straightened slightly after running the flat of his tongue over the puncture marks. The ones I still bore from Ayato were beginning to scab over on my neck, but Subaru's faded, leaving only traces of his saliva.

"If you stay here, you will most certainly die," Subaru said suddenly, watching my expression.

"You all have orders not to kill me," I murmured, gazing out the window. "Even so, if my death does come by the hand of you or your brothers, then it would only be fair. I have evaded death already; he seeks my end more feverishly now."

"What do you mean?"

"You saw the scar upon my chest, didn't you?" I said, dipping my fingers into the neckline of my coverup to pull it down just far enough to display the scar I bore. "It's from heart surgery. It's a miracle I even got a replacement."

"You don't consider it a blessing? How ungrateful."

"I never said I wasn't grateful," I responded calmly. "Only that my continued existence is like throwing sand into the eyes of Death and running away. I'm lucky, yes, but my luck may run out. That's fine by me."

"You are strange."

"Well so are you, what with this loner business of yours."

"You have no right to judge me!"