Chapter 9 - Pheromones

It was midday when we arrived in Colorado. We first visited Jack's uncle, Ray and his aunt, Jane. Ray and Jane were both nice to me.They are both his dad's siblings. Mr. Ray Sr., Jack's grandpa,passed away two years ago.

The Lane's home was old, antique but in an exquisite way. The chandelier that hung on the living room was old style, an emphasis to its age. There were Michaelangelo and da Vinci replica paintings that hung on the dirty white walls. The mighty pillars were all in the mythological style. But, despite the brittle age of the house, it was remarkably spic-and-span. The velvety couches were obviously dusted and the place smelled of sugarcanes and lemons. The floor was impeccable and the mouldings had no cobwebs or anything. There was a huge round table in the dining area, an a small victorian table in the living room. Jack handed me keys.

"What are these?" I inquired

"Your keys."

"Is this again a hotel or something?"

"No." He said seriously.His lips went together and drew a line. I kept my mouth shut. "The keys to Mikaela's room. You see, this home was just a hand-me-down to Ray and Jane. My dad personally used to live in this house. Mikaela passed away, one of my many Aunties."

"Oh. Sorry." I said silently.

"It's okay. I'll help you to your room and then you can leave your stuff, then we'll go to the beach."

"B- beach? Aren't we visiting your shop?"

"Well, yeah, but not until tomorrow."

He carried all my things, he dropped his beside the stairway and asked an elderly woman in white to pick them up and bring them to his quarters.

"Thanks, Nova." He nodded. The woman smiled sweetly at him.

He held my hand on his free hand and we trotted silently to my room. He swiftly dropped my things and closed the door behind.

"Got your phone?" he asked

I nodded.

"Extra clothes?"

"Yes."

"Keys?"

"Yup."

"Purse?"

"Wallet." I said as I tapped my satchel.

"Anything else?"

"I want to have a shower. And gees Jack, I did not bring swim suit!" I ranted.

"About the shower, we're going to the beach, so you can probably get a shower from a clubhouse, and the swim suit, I got you this."

Jack handed a pink box to me.

"Wear those later." He said, smirking.

"Promise me that they're not daring."

"Well, at least not topless." he smirked.

I was extremely annoyed at his assault and so I tried to launch myself on him, but his fast reflexes saved him aside, and then there we went, running across the hallway until we were finally out of breath.

"By the way, I am kinda hungry." I paused breathless and confessed before my rumbling belly would speak for itself.

"Yes, we're gonna eat with Ray and Jane."

"O-okay." I said, silently. He clasped my hand which ran a shock through my body almost exceeding my beta waves, my alertness. I embarassingly jerked at the sensation.

"You okay?" He smirked.

I nodded nervously.

We entered the kitchen, his hands and mine intertwined. Jane was busily cooking while singing. Her hair tied in a neat bun, and an apron on the ventral portion of her body.

"Jane is good at cooking. Her husband loved her pesto sanwiches and her panizas. But he died last year. Her children- my cousins all have their own lives with their own families." Jack murmured, or almost whispered.

"Hi Jane." Jack greeted, which made Jane turn her back.

Jane glanced at him and our intertwined hands and smiled at me and Jack. Jack gave her a hug with his free hand, but he never left my fingers. Jane gave me a kiss on both of my cheeks, what a relief, I know Jack won't let go of my hand.

"I smell pesto." I smiled, while sniffing the marvelous aroma of the dish.

"Pesto Wraps. But Jack here told me that you two would be having a day at the beach, so I'd just offer this to you both as snacks." she smiled sweetly, and then continued "for lunch, we are going to have..."

"Wait Ms. Lane, um... you guys aren't coming with us? I thought we were going to have lunch at the beach?" I inquired. Ms. Lane lowered her eye glasses and glanced at Jack, then back to me.

"Well, you see we're a bit tired,honey. You can still have lunch at the beach with Jack, honey. By the way, I was once a Mrs. Harrison." I saw the darkness in her eyes, but she managed to continue. "Please call me Jane."

"O-okay, Jane. I'm so sorry."

"It's actually fine with me, Jessie. I know you know how hard this feels"

I nodded sadly.

Nova, their house helper came back with a cart and asked for the keys to Jack's Audi.

"All set, Nova?" Jack asked. She took the pink box from me and placed them in the cart, then gestured that she'll be putting them in the car.

"Yes, Sir." She responded.

"What are those?" I turned to Nova. She opened her mouth to speak, but Jack pressed his index finger to his lips.

"Loads of fun." He whispered in my ear, tightening his hand grip. I almost forgot that our hands were intertwined.

"You ready?"

I nodded. I was really ready, beyond excited.

Jack turned to Nova at that very moment

"Call for Fred, please."

Nova nodded and went straight ahead.

"You must be tired from last night's drive. Will you still drive us to the beach?... I... mean... I can... drive." I asked, partly worried.

"No. It's all okay. We'll be using Jane and Ray's chauffeur, Fred." He smiled.

I blushed underneath my hair. We stood there, face to face with my hair covering my face, everything was immobilized. Jane was surprisingly gone, but I didn't want ro ruin the moment.

"We'll go in a few minutes, dear." He remarked while tucking my hair away. "You smell of roses, Reed."

"Stop it with your playful tongue, Lane. I hadn't even taken a bath." I said, annoyed, but amused. I really did have rose geranium on my skin.

"Eh? Let me check." He lowered his head to smell my neck. I felt his lips touch my nape. The sensation almost made me pee on my pants. I felt a fast shiver through my limbs and my spine. My throat was dry, I was speechless. He kissed my nape gently and retreated.

"Hmm... Pheromones." Our faces were inches away when I pushed his chest with my other hand. Wow. He was warm. I didn't notice his hand burning mine. He was literally warm.

"Stop using my terms." I pouted.

"Okay then." he grinned.

"Sir." Fred called calmly. He was wearing a long sleeved "uniform"? And had an identification name plate. "Fred" - chauffeur.

"Ready?," Jack looked at me in the eyes. His eyes were expectant. I have never seen him so happy and relaxed. Back at New Haven, he's always filled with stuff to study and learn.

"Of course." I replied with alacrity

---------End of Chapter 9---------

I'm working on the next part guys!!! :)