My Online Life

My Online Life

By: Megan Strasburg

Chapter One

My name is Hillary Banks. But for those of you who know me, my name is Blind Artist. Because everyone knows Blind Artist… and no one knows Hillary Banks.

I should probably tell you how my “name” came to be. No not Hillary, the other one. I honestly don’t know where to start. The beginning takes it back pretty far. But it will have to do.

I was born to Brenda Banks and we’re not really sure on December 25, 1994. And for those of you who can’t do math, that makes me seventeen. From the moment I was born, I was hated. Yes, hated. I wasn’t supposed to be here. My parents were way too young. My mom was only sixteen when she had me. Obviously she didn’t marry her one-night-stand. Not to be harsh, but it’s not my fault she couldn’t keep her legs closed.  I know, I know, they said it was love at first sight. But I don’t believe in that shit. Young love doesn’t last.

My mom couldn’t get another date after the school found out she was pregnant. And guess whom she blamed for her troubled love life? It was me.  That’s why she hated me. Not the guy that got her pregnant but her own daughter. She wanted to get an abortion but her parent’s said that she had to deal with all her stupidity, drop out of school to raise me, find a new home and get a job. They wouldn’t let her put me up for adoption either. At the rate my life is going I think I would have preferred adoption. But, my grandparents are all too nice. Well my grandpa is. My Grandma past away a few years after I was born, I didn’t know her but I know Grandpa was really upset about it. So anyway, all of mom’s friends stopped talking to her and she really had no one. I might hate me too if I was in that position. It really wasn’t because of me though.

So as soon as she could she sent me off to some fancy-smancy year-round boarding school. All cost paid with my Grandfather’s money, the money that HE makes. Not my witch of a mother. I hadn’t known that it was his money at the time but once my Mother let it slip. So, me and my skinny ass packed up and headed to a boarding school across the country, away from my Grandpa and away from her.  

I didn’t really know what to do. I had never had any friends… not even really talked to anyone. So, I was really overwhelmed when all the girls in my class wanted to hang out with me. I just wanted to be alone, I wasn’t ready for all this attention. I just blew everyone off and went back to my dorm. Who knew this would lead to my future life as a loner?

All those times I declined their offers to hang out; I was apparently labeling myself as a freak. So I would just go sit in my room with my roommate, and only friend, Sebastian Parks. It’s a coed dorm.  But I guess we were ten so you wouldn’t expect it to be inappropriate or anything. Sebastian, or Seb, as I like to call him, is the only one who understands me. I had told him my story, and he told me his very similar story as well. So we connected instantly and have been inseparable since. He is the only person I can have a conversation with and the only friend I have.

To everyone at school I am now the Weird Emo Chick. It confuses me why anyone who that doesn’t talk to people is an emo. I know plenty of emos that are very social! Okay that’s a lie because I don’t really “know” many people. I don’t cut myself or any crazy thing like that. But I do kind of have that look going on. I like it. It suits me.