01

A/N: So this is my first attempt. I hope you guys like it. Please vote and comment.

There was nothing Drew enjoyed more than standing on the porch in the early morning.

His mate was beside him, pressing him against his chest as they watched the sun rising slowly over the mountains. The dew covered lawn shimmered in the early light. The air was fresh and clean. The only sounds were the soft titter of birds in the forest that lay at the end of the lawn and the far off bay of hunting wolves. "You're not working today?" questioned Drew softly, tilting his head up to look at Hayden.

He was aging and yet still just as stunningly handsome to him as he had been when they first met. "I'm doing the afternoon and night hunt," replied Hayden with a smile. "So you've got me all to yourself all morning."

Drew smiled and hummed in response. He thought where they lived was beautiful. The house had been painted white and there was a woodshed around the side of it. "Want me to make us some coffee?" Drew asked as his mate nuzzled against his neck. 

"You read my mind."

They took one last deep breathe of the crisp AM air before they turned and went back inside.

The door opened to the kitchen. The dining table was the centerpiece of it all really. Drew walked around it to the counter where he placed a pod in the coffee machine and placed Hayden's favorite mug under it before turning it on. He could hear his other mate Ayden just getting out of bed. He had patrol this morning. He had taken the job on a whim but had been promoted quickly despite being foreign born. He was now Supervising the border between them and Eastern Pines--arguably the most important border.

He gave Ayden his coffee and set to making his own before he sat at the table beside Hayden.

Drew glanced at the stove top clock, then at the mug clasped between his hands.

"It's time to wake them up," he said tiredly.

Hayden smiled at his mate. "Do you want me to do it?"

"After the summer we've had? No thanks. I want to show them to door myself."

To say the boys argued was an understatement. It seemed to be one thing after another! They had spent half their break grounded to their respective bedrooms and the other half bickering endlessly and driving their parents nuts. Ayden entered the kitchen, dressed for in his morning patrol. He put a coffee pod into the machine and leaned against the counter. "Shouldn't you get the boys up?"

"We're enjoying our final moments of peace," corrected Hayden with a smile. "I'll go."

"You don't have to," offered Drew feebly.

He did love his boys, he did, but he couldn't be happier it was time to start going back to school. Hayden got to his feet, pushing his chair in. He walked to the staircase and took a final moment of stillness before taking the steps two at a time. He passed the bathroom door and the linen closet before he reached the first door. He took the handle and pushed it open. An array of items were cast everywhere. The dirty clothes basket was overflowing and the desk was covered with the new school supplies Drew had picked up last week. Hayden sighed. They'd asked Thomas to clean his room in June. And it had still yet to be done in August.

He pushed the light switch up, casting light on the true mess in front of him. A lump in the middle of the full sized bed groaned, pulling the dark gray comforter over his head. "No!" moaned Thomas.

"It's time. Be downstairs by seven if you want breakfast."

Hayden closed the door behind him and moved to the next door. He had just placed his hand on the doorknob when the door opened. Connell looked startled but his expression quickly melted into a tired smile. "Hey Dad--I had my alarm set. I'm going to take a shower."