Chapter 2

Author's note: Updates every Wednesday from here on out, I promise. Byeyas my wildflowers :3

-Erin's POV-

Quickly, I dash into my closet to pick out an outfit. Chad's party isn't for a few hours but I still want to be ready. Now, what do I choose? I haven't got many clothes to begin with so this shouldn't take too long to decide. Eventually, I settle on a white vest top with a pink flannel overshirt, not forgetting some jeans and my signature flower headband. I have one for every occasion in every colour you could think of. My personal favourite is the pink and cream one I snagged in a town market on the outskirts of LA.

I remember the elderly woman who owned the stall was sitting in the sun, swaying back and forth in her rocking chair. She was leant back as her nimble, spindly fingers weaved fake flowers into these beautiful wreaths. The balance of petals to leaves was perfect, minimalistic and simple in first glance but intricately detailed when you look properly. I had a flower crown bursting with daisies that day. When she glanced up at me, she gave me a gappy grin through the shadows of her sunhat. I distinctly recall the croakiness of her throaty voice as she ushered me to a rickety chair beside hers. Nimbly, I took up her offer and was immediately taken by surprise when she grabbed my hand.

"My sweet girl, thank you for stopping. No one is interested in handmade gifts anymore especially from a little old woman like me." She returned to tinkering with her flower crown. "I haven't sold anything for days, my dear. " I heard a faint sigh from the woman but it was lost in the breeze. A little frown settled on her wrinkly lips.

"But these are beautiful! Who'd be crazy enough not to buy one?" For a short second, I could have sworn I saw a small smile. "Everything is about machines nowadays, poppet. All your factories are putting the little businesses like mine out of shop, not like this is much of a business anyway." Another sigh. "I might just give up now, no one wants a little nana's trinkets..."

"Come on now, you know that isn't true- everyone loves the simple things in life! I would adore it if I had a boyfriend who gave me things like this. I'm a sucker for individuality and uniqueness to be honest. Anyway, I think I'm going to buy one..." I stood up and studied the table carefully- I just couldn't decide which one I wanted! I picked a few off the display and twirled them between my fingertips. Eventually, I narrowed it down to two. The first was blue, the mix of green leaves reminded me of the sea. Streaks of silver ran through it like a river. The other was bright scarlet red. It's petals were speckled with pink dots and this time, a thread of gold was woven in. I held one in each hand as I tried to decide.

The chair creaked as she lifted her frail body up. The possibly ninety-year old woman hobbled over to me and picked out both from my outstretched palms. She tottered back to her seat and nestled down. "Tell me my sweetie, what is your favourite thing about this world?" I stared at her like she had grown an extra head but still answer with no thought. "The sunrise." To be honest, the swirling shades of early morning used to calm me as a child. Waking up before everyone else meant that for that short period of time, I could be alone. Alone without judgement. Hey, we're going a bit deep here, let's back up a bit.

She tutted faintly as she opened a long, thin box that was laying idly on the table. It was filled to the brim with different coloured threads that were somehow perfectly straight and not tangled. I watched her stroke the wisps of hair on her chin before plucking out individual strings. Suddenly, she slammed it shut with a bang and ushered me forwards. I edged in the direction of the old woman. When I was close enough she gently pushed my head down so my parting was inches from her face. From my minimal view, it seemed as if she had produced a tape measure out of thin air before she wrapped it around my skull.

"22 inches..." Her muttering almost seemed like an ancient curse or some babbling you'd hear from Macbeth's witches. The lacing threads between her fingers wouldn't let me look away, it was as if it had a mind of it's own. I was so absorbed in the interlocking strands I scarcely noticed what was happening around me. Time flew, people passed, life carried on.

"For you, my young maiden..." She unfurled her bony hands to display a beautiful sunset flower crown. I gasped at it's utter beauty. Coral coloured petals were complemented by silky, pale peach ones, dotted over the flurry of leaves. Curled around each bud was a twisted vine-like wire that seemed to twitch ever so often. I knew that from then, this was something special.

"ERIN!" I blink furiously. Jordan is standing in front of me, an agitated look on his face as he waves around his hand.

"What?" Huh?

He rolls his eyes and throws his arms up in exasperation. "I've been trying to talk to you for ages, but it's like you blanked me out! You're sure you okay?" What happened again? I glance down to see the flower headband clutched close to my chest. Oh right, I was picking out an outfit.

"Yeah Jordan, I'm fine. Actually, I was going to get dressed so would of you be so kind..." He gets the hint and marches back into the bathroom. I slip on my vest top and jeans silently, fumbling around with the zipper. I position the flower crown on my head and tossing my overshirt around my shoulders, I fling open the bathroom door. And what I see scares the living daylights out of me. Fuck.