Search for the Light #2: The Academy

Start from the beginning

I seem to have a way with most people, I can persuade them easily to do nearly anything. Still the thought behind Lacey's actions clearly was maniacal and destructive, oh well at least I was going to be a stripper when I'm older. She'll be ho-ing herself out and I'll be living in a big house somewhere exotic, running some big corporation.

Stupid girls.

It was final class and I decided to pull my hair out of the bun and pulled off my glasses to rub my eyes. My hair fell down past my chest, wavy and not to brag but it was gorgeous hair, I was for sure gifted with that much. I could feel my eyes stinging from not wearing the glasses, I looked over at the clock and I heard a gasp from the guy to my right.

"What are you looking at?" I slipped on my glasses and studied his features. He looked shocked staring back at me and shuffled closer.

"You're beautiful," he seemed mesmerized by my face and I pulled my hair back into a bun, as the bell rang I quickly jumped up and ran out of the classroom.

I stood at my locker and I could hear people behind me, jock squad in its entirety and lovely glory. Lead by the bumbling idiot from last period, Hank something rather; I don't keep track of football players. They were all too unintelligent to have a real conversation with, well in my mind at least.

They were all looking and pointing at me and Hank was the first to approach me, "sorry but what can I do for you? You seem to all be blocking my way out of the hallway." I slammed my locker shut and turned to face him, "if you have something to say be my guest."

He looked shocked that I wasn't one of those shy little nerds, "could you please take your hair out of that? I want to show the guys what you look like, and here let me take your glasses." I let him pull them off my face, and he gasped again, I'll assume seeing the bright grey my eyes were. I pulled the elastic out and shook my hair to either side of my face, smoothing my side bang back to the right side.

"Satisfied?"

"You're hot!" Oh god, my mind said nothing was wrong but my legs carried me out of the hallway quickly before the mob of guys could catch me. I hopped into the SUV and drove home as fast as the monster would let me go. I locked the doors and ran upstairs into my room and shut that door too. Looking into the mirror I pulled out my hair which fell into place on both shoulders, curls and waves everywhere. My eyes were makeup free but I didn't need any really, my eyelashes were so dark and thick and the abnormal grey eye color shone through.

"Too damn weird," I told myself and sat on the ledge by my window watching for passing cars. I leaned against the wall and began to fall asleep, I could feel the cold through the window but it didn't make me cold like everyone else. I just understood that the breeze through the glass wasn't warm like the fireplace downstairs; I guess I've never actually felt chilled. Weird? Welcome to my life. Strange things like that happened all the time, other than having influence on people's actions, but I can't feel cold, I can move water and control the weather.

I moved from the ledge and into bed slipping on a pair of flannel pajama pants and an old math camp T-shirt on my way. Joan's crying woke me up the next morning, I sat up to see her and Ted standing in the doorway with a box in his arms. "Happy eighteenth Tess," he grimly spoke and handed me the gift. I crawled across the bed and grabbed it, ripping off the bow and pulling the lid off.

First I pulled out a necklace, sapphires and aquamarine gems covered the gold chain and on the back of the largest pendant it read 'our darling Thalessa'. "It's beautiful! Thanks so much guys," I tied it around my neck and continued searching through the box.

Next was a brochure to Yale, but it wasn't the normal Yale school, it was 'The Yale Academy for Immortal Beings'. "Is this some kind of a joke? School begins when you're eighteen, you finish at the age of twenty three more knowledgeable and stronger during the understanding of your calling." I read straight from the front page and stared dumbfounded at my parents.