Chapter Eleven: I Saw the Way He Looked at You

Start from the beginning

"Thanks Tess," he laughed, reaching into his back pocket to grab his wallet.

"Thank you," I smiled as he handed me my coffee then set the container of Timbits on the console, "You can have the chocolate ones and the cinnamon ones," I said with a mouthful, "I'll take the jelly ones and glazed ones."

"How generous of you," he laughed.

###

I hated flying, I absolutely couldn't stand it. Every single time I got on a plane, I had a mini panic attack, especially once we took off. I'd flown quite a bit in high school, especially with hockey. I just couldn't get over that fear that the plane would drop out of the sky or spontaneously combust and explode into a million little pieces every time I stepped foot into the large flying metal tube.

"You okay so far?" Taylor asked as we sat and waited for the plane to take off.

"Hell no," I replied, tapping my fingers on the armrests on either side.

"Need a Xanex?" he smirked.

"That or a few shots," I replied, my fingers still tapping on the arm rests.

"We'll be fine, don't worry," he said, grabbing my left hand, the one closest to him, causing my heart to leap just a bit.

What the hell was wrong with me? We had held each other's hands millions of times, I can't count the times I'd dragged him out of a party or out of the bar and we ended up holding hands. But this time was different, there was this spark that shot up my arm and throughout the rest of my body. I'd never felt that spark before with anyone, let alone, Taylor.

"You okay?" he asked, his usual lopsided grin spreading across his smug face.

"It's too early," I groaned, leaning my head back against the headrest of the seat.

I wasn't sure how I felt about the whole, he was holding my hand and my hand was tingling and my heart was racing and threatening to leap out of my throat, thing in the long run, but right now, it was more okay.

###

The plane ride was very short, thankfully, so I only freaked out for about ten minutes before I fell asleep for the remaining hour that it took to get back to Buffalo.

"You look like you just rolled out of bed," Taylor smirked as we got our luggage.

"You don't look too hot either," I replied as we found our way out to the entrance of the airport.

"Did you schedule a cab?" he asked.

"That one's ours," I said as a minivan pulled up to the curb.

"What would I do without you?" he smirked, slinging his arm around my shoulders.

"I don't think you want to know the answer," I laughed as he loaded our luggage into the van.

"Hey, I'm a little more responsible than you give me credit for," he said.

"Occasionally," I smiled.

###

"Dad! We're here!" I yelled as I let myself into the house.

"I can't believe the key's still under the same plant it was when I was sixteen," Taylor laughed as we walked into the entryway.

"I think he'd forget where he put it if he put it somewhere else," I replied as I slid off my snow covered boots.

It hadn't really majorly snowed yet back in Aladine, we'd get a few flurries or maybe an inch or so every couple weeks since the last weekend of October but it would end up warming up and melting soon after, but there was at least a foot in Buffalo. It was freezing back home too, I was definitely thankful I had worn layers on the way here.

"Hey! There they are!" Dad smiled as he came down the stairs.

"Hey Dad," I smiled as he gave me a hug.

"Hi Mr. Walters," Taylor said, shaking his hand.

"How are you guys doing?" Dad asked.

"Cold," I laughed.

"It's been getting pretty cold the past week or so," Dad replied, "I've got a pot of coffee in the kitchen if you want any."

"Want any Tay?" I asked, turning to Taylor.

"Sure," he replied, "I'll take your stuff up to your room," he said, putting his hand on the small of my back as he walked past before grabbing my bags for me.

"Thanks," I smiled as he grabbed my suitcases and I walked into the kitchen with Dad.

"So how are you two doing?" Dad asked as he poured three mugs of coffee.

"Good," I replied, taking one of the mugs in my hands.

"When were you going to tell me you were together?" Dad asked.

"What?" I asked, surprised.

"I saw the way he looked at you Tessa," Dad replied, a small smile creeping onto his face.

"It's complicated," I sighed.

"The way he looked at you isn't," Dad said.

"Really?" I asked, "Are you sure?"

"Positive," he smiled, "So what makes it complicated?"

"He hasn't broken it off with Kayla, she hasn't given him the chance," I replied, "And then she bitched me out in the locker room and slapped me so I broke her nose." 

"I'd say that's complicated then," he laughed, "We both know how he is about breaking up with girls, he's terrible at it, give him a little time, I have no doubt in my mind that he's crazy for you Tessa."

"Oh come on Dad, how can you say that after only seeing us once since we decided to be together?" I asked, giving him a look.

"He's looked at you that way since you were 17" he replied, "He loves you Tess, and we both know how he doesn't have a lot of people that he loves in his life. You've always meant the world to him, he's told me."

"I guess that makes me feel a little better," I replied, taking a drink of coffee.

"You shouldn't have any doubt in your mind," he said as we heard Taylor trampling back down the stairs.

###

***