THREE--ASH

I’m caught in a web of nightmares. With each attempt to free myself, I become more stuck, pinned against invisible fibers that sap away my strength. I’m helpless to do anything but ride out the horrific scenes, one after the other, screams and splashes of red so vivid I wish I could permanently erase the color from my mind.

In some dreams I roam the vast, glass-domed courtyard of the palace, stumbling over the blood-stained bodies littering the ground. In others it’s not enough that I know they’re dead. I have to witness their brutal ends, watch the light go out of their eyes, knowing I can’t do anything to stop it.

And just when I think I’ll go mad, the nightmares finally stop. I dream of Collin. A moment of shared joy, like a cool drink in a desert of heat and sand. He and I stand side by side at the archery range, flinging one arrow after the next at stationary targets. No mention of a competition before we started, but we can’t help ourselves for always trying to outdo each other. Or for being frustrated when we begin to lose.

I’m the loser today.

I exhale sharply when my arrow hits the edge of the target. Again. Collin laughs and looks at me with that annoyingly superior twinkle in his dark brown eyes. “How is it possible you get worse with each attempt?”

“How about I shoot you between the eyes? Maybe then you’ll take me seriously.” I can’t help feeling frustrated. Between the two of us, I’m the competitive one. I’m the one who won’t be able to walk away from this archery range without letting my sour feelings ruin the rest of my day. So I grab all of my arrows and return to his side. “Best out of five.”

“Before we get started,” he says, “I want to share something with you.”

I lower my bow and turn to him. He’s tall and well-built, and has a tan from all of the time spent outdoors. His perfectly tousled dark blond hair and easy smile draw all the girls to him. Most of the palace’s young female population drive themselves mad with how much they want him to smile their way.

“What is it?” I ask.

His smile widens. “You’re looking at the latest recruit for the Palace Order.”

I’m speechless. And he knows it, too, judging by his laugh. “That’s amazing, Collin.” I throw my arms around his shoulders, squeezing him tightly. “I told you it would happen! It was only a matter of time. Where’s your uniform? When do you start work?”

“Slow down,” he replies. “It’s not official yet. But I wanted you to know first.” His smile softens. “You’re the only one who really understands how much this means to me. To my family.”

I do understand. Collin’s father is one of the palace gardeners. An aging man with a heart condition that weakens him with each passing day. Without him, Collin’s mother and siblings will face a lot of hardship. But this news means things will improve for Collin’s family. He’ll be able to support them well now.

Collin has wanted to become a guard since he was a little boy. This is a huge achievement for him, and I’m happy for him. Even if I don’t believe in the Palace Order.

Even if I secretly hate our king.

But I won’t let my feelings get in the way of my friend’s happiness.

I pull back and pat his shoulder. “Who knows? Maybe you’ll become an officer in no time.”

He smirks as he grabs another arrow. “That won’t happen if you don’t give me a challenge. Keep up, Ash.”

“I won’t go easy on you this time,” I say, and he laughs.

And then it’s over.

I wake with a start and blink up at an unfamiliar patterned ceiling, wondering how I left Collin’s side and ended up here. On this bed in the corner of this unfamiliar room.