Chapter 21

THE GIF IS SUCH FETUS AAAAAAAAAAAAH

Calum's POV:

When I finally calm down Alaska insists that we walk home together. I don't actually want to walk with her since she just witnessed my breakdown (which is super-mega-ultra-embarrassing by the way), but I don't want to get lost on the way either, so I don't put up a fight.

We walk silently next to each other for what seems like ages. The silence is thick and uncomfortable, and the only thing that runs through my head is how weak and pathetic I am. I just had a breakdown in front of not only Alaska but also all the other people who were standing outside of the building. I hate letting other people see me when I'm in my weakest state, and since I've come here way too many people have seen it.

"Wait, did you feel that?" Alaska suddenly asks as she looks up at the sky.

"No," I mutter and take the opportunity to look at her (for some reason unknown to me).

Her dark brown hair falls in waves down the back of her green parka, her hands are in her pockets, and her brown eyes hold a small spark as she says, "I think it's about to start raining."

As if on cue it starts drizzling only seconds after, and a small, content smile spreads across her face. I sigh and pull on my hood, expecting her to do the same, but she doesn't, and as the rain gradually gets more evident, her smile only grows wider. Fortunately, the rain doesn't get too harsh, it remains soft and mild like a mother's (especially my mother, she seems to think I'm a fragile kitten or something) touch.

"Why are you so happy?" I ask her.

"I love rain," she replies and pushes some of her now wet hair away from her face.

"Why?" I question. I like rain too, but only because it gives me a valid reason to stay inside. Not that I would leave the house if it wasn't raining, but still. 

"When I was younger my grandmother told me about how the sky and the earth love each other, but they don't have arms, so rain is their way of holding one another. Ever since she told me about that, I've loved rain. I guess it's just nice to know that there's at least one love that will last forever in this world," she says, her voice getting quieter by the end. 

"Would you mind if we stayed out for a little while?" she asks and looks up at me.

"Stay outside in the rain?" I ask skeptically.

"You don't have to, but I think I'm going to stay outside a little bit," she laughs quietly and looks down at the ground. I think about it for a second before I sigh internally. What are you doing Calum?

"Sure, I'll stay with you," I mutter. She looks slightly surprised as she glances up at me and smiles.

"Really?" she asks, confirming my thoughts about her being surprised.

"Yeah, I mean, why not?" I chuckle lightly and shrug my shoulders. The brightest smile spreads across her face while she puts her hands in her pockets.

"We can sit on a bench near my house?" she suggests. I nod in response. That way we can easily run inside if it starts pouring down.

She leads the way to an old, brown, and not to mention wet bench, but we sit down nevertheless because we're both already wet anyways. The rain has increased since it started raining first, but I can barely even feel it anymore. It feels as if my body had gone somewhat numb, partly because of the cold, but also partly because I don't care about the rain anymore at this point.

I push my damp hair out of my face and watch her as she does the same. If she had been wearing makeup it would have been smudged all over her face due to the rain by now, but I've noticed that Alaska often goes without makeup. To be honest, I don't think she needs it either. I'm not trying to say that she's oh so perfect without makeup that she doesn't need it, but the natural look suits her a whole lot. Of course she has some flaws, but don't we all?