Chapter Sixteen: Boulevard of Broken Things

Começar do início

                Please don’t let him find me. I thought to myself as I stayed in the vent.

He is going to kill me if he finds me. Please, please don’t let him look up at the vent.

                After Jamanj was done picking glass out of his hand, he sauntered over to one of the sinks to wash away all of the blood that covered his injured arm. Every minute seemed like hours to me as I tried to breathe and hold my hands over my mouth.

                “I can’t believe this Liliana. After all I have done for you! I helped you! I helped your family and this is how you repay me? You never thanked me for anything! You are a selfish brat like my sister. You are just like my sister, Liliana!” Jamanj hollered and scooped the bathroom again.

                He went over to one of the stalls and began wrapping toilet paper around his hand like a bandage.

                “I don’t know where you are but when I find you I am going to kill your sister and your friends in front of you as punishment.”

                I took that as a good sign. At least he had not killed Charisse yet and Gage, Bibiane, Malory and unfortunately Avian were all still alive. That also meant that they were all safe until he found me which was very unlikely because he never thought to look in the vent.

                “Alright fine! You want to hide.” Jamanj sputtered as he held his bandaged hand. “I am giving you five seconds to come out now! Five……………...four……………….three………………two……………...one……... Where are you!”

                Jamanj finally gave up and walked over to the bathroom door. He opened it with his good hand and took one last look at the bathroom.

                “I’m sorry.” The crazed killer stepped out of the bathroom, his black boots slammed against the tiled floor as he left.

                What did he mean by that?

                “Finally.” I breathed out in relief as I moved my sweaty hands from my mouth, wiped them on my pants and began breathing normally.

                I felt as if I held my breath under water for a long time like the time Jamanj tried to drown me. Dizziness overcame me and my head began to spin.

                Is he really gone?

I stretched out my legs that were aching from crouching down in the vent for so long.

               I looked around in the vent to see how big it was. There was enough room for me to crawl through to the next room. I had no idea where to go to next. The air in the vent was so thick and humid that I felt like I was inside of an oven. The walls in the vent were also very small and brushed against my shoulders. Worst of all was the darkness. Inside the vent, there was no light. Pitch black darkness consumed me as I tried to look further into the long vent. I knew that I needed to go somewhere safe and get out.