Prologue- Avoidance {Edited}

~*~ Months after Sean & Keira’s ordeal ~*~

She watched as the groom guided his bride to the dance floor for their first dance. After everything that happened several months ago, Sean and Keira were doing more that great. The two definitely deserved happiness after everything that they been through. What kind of best friend would Lacey be if she wasn’t happy for them both. A bad one. She watched as the two got closer together, Sean whispering sweet nothings into Keira’s ear and her grinning from ear to ear. It was time that her friends was starting to get their peace of mind back. Unfortunately for Lacey, her peace of mind went right through the window when she saw him again.

Images of his dark chocolate skin above her awaken memories that she tried to buried deep down. Months of hovering over phone, waiting for him to call put her through enough emotional. She was going bonkers and why? For a man that she barely knew but felt the she knew him all his life. It was all crazy to her but at the end of the day, she was hurt by him and his promise. It was her fault too. She should have known not to believe a man in the first place. They were all the same. Liars and cheaters. Different on the outside but all had the same characteristics on the inside.

Taking a sip of her champagne, Lacey scanned the area. She knew he was close by. He always was and wanted to speak to her but she constantly made the excuse that she was just to busy. Even during the preparation for Sean and Keira’s wedding. Since they were both the best man and maid of honor, the couple thought that it was best for their best friends to get together and get to know each other. Lacey told Keira all about Daniel being the one that stood her up all this time. That he was the one that he had a one night stand with when they went out that night but Keira continued to tell her that there had to be a go explanation as to why he never contacted her back.

To this day, Lacey wanted to punch herself in the throat for telling him about her past. Maybe that was why he left and never came back. It had to be. It was the first in a while that she opened up to someone and she vowed to never again. The ending result  only took her recovery in the opposite direction.

Fingers snapped in front of her face, bring her out of her thoughts. She looked up and saw Keira standing before her with a worried face expression.

"Are you ok?" Keira asked her. "I've been standing here for minutes trying to get your attention."

Lacey threw back the rest of her drink and sighed. She needed something stronger. She wasn't allowed to drink with the medication she was on but to hell with it all. Lightly throwing the flute on the table, she got up and smoothed out her one shoulder light brown bridesmaid dress. She practically begged Keira to not give her bridesmaids ugly dresses. She understood that it was her day, but she be damned if she had to walk around in a loud color dress that had ruffles everywhere.

"Yea, I'm fine. Just doing some thinking," Lacey mumbled.

Whenever she said she was thinking, Keira knew something was wrong. "What's wrong Lace," she asked.