"Mei," I managed to utter, my lips twitched up into a small smile.

Her body froze for a moment, registering everything in her brain. When she seemed to regain her composure, she quickly moved aside and let me in.

"Y-You came home sooner than expected..." She commented as she helped me remove my muffler and coat.

"I wanted to surprise my parents." I turned around and looked at her, gauging her reaction. "Is mother present at the moment?" I asked her.

She stared at me for a few moments, taken aback by my actions for a little while. "I think... she's at her office, young miss..." Mei informed me, hesitation filled her voice. "Um, wel-welcome home." She stuttered before clearing her throat to muster up a confident and sophisticated posture.

Everyone knew of the fact that my parents lied to me yet they rather chose to keep their silence for they are afraid of them.

"Thank you, Mei," I turned around and start to walk away but then stopped as if I had forgotten something from her. I peered over my shoulder and smiled again. "Oh I almost forgot, Kisa said hi."

Her eyes widened in absolute shock along with her jaw that almost fell to the cold tiled floor. I get the feeling that she also knew whom Kisa is now working for. I think the shock in her expression makes sense.

"Yu-" She tried to pronounce my name, however, she stopped midway. I knew that she wanted to ask me something, though, she chose to keep silent. And I was so sick and tired of the defeaning silence they're giving me.

Cat got your tongue?

My feet couldn't stop moving. Every variant in my system only wanted one thing; it's to see Mother as soon as possible. Father was still away, and I wonder when he will come back.

I opened her door without warning and saw her standing in front of the window, her fingers were tracing down the smooth fabric of the curtains. Her attention was focused on nothing but on the view from outside, might have been gazing at something or pondering. And when she heard of the door being closed, which was done by me to catch her attention, she turned around and her eyes widened in disbelief and shock.

I plastered on a smile of my own. "Hello, Mother." I greeted then started to make my way to her and she watched me do so.

"Yurika," She muttered and I stopped a few feet away from her, not wanting to close the gap between us just yet.

"Surprised?" I asked with a light chuckle.

She nodded slowly. "I-I thought you'd be going home in a few days." She trailed off then her forehead creased as if she was disturbed at the scene in front of her. "Where's Yuta-kun?"

"You know, Mother," I trailed off then looked straight into her eyes. "I really am your daughter." I declared as I just found myself no longer smiling. "I am naive, just like you."

"What are you talking about?" She asked, perplxed.

"A lot of things happened to me for the past few weeks," my eyes wandered around her office, staring at anywhere but her. "And a lot of things might have changed."

She remained silent at my statements, leaving her in absolute confusion.

"Mother," I shifted my gaze to her once again. "How could your conscience take all of this?"

Her eyes slightly dilated, as if she was getting a hint from me. She took a few steps towards me and I backed away as a sign that I didn't want her near me.

"Yurika-"

"How could you choose the welfare of the company rather than your own child?"

"Yurika, please, listen to me-"

"I am so sick and tired of lies, Mother!" I exclaimed and I didn't realize that my fists were already curled into tight balls, my knuckles white from too much anger.

"Our company was at the verge of bankruptcy that time, Yurika!" Mother shot back. I can see very well from here that her eyes were getting glassy. "Your father was so desperate that he'd do anything just to save it... even to sacrifice his own daughter."

"The Kiryuu family served as our salvation... that's why your father wants you to get married immediately after... after graduation... to bind the families together."

I just stood there, unmoving. I couldn't think straight, I couldn't even process what she was saying. And most frankly, I didn't know what to feel.

"He saw this as a chance when you fell into a coma for 6 whole months. The brain damage was enough to formulate a hypothesis that you'll get an amnesia. He already talked to Yuta-kun that time and he pretended to be your longtime fiance-"

"Stop." I demanded and held my head, that's been aching for the whole time.

"You want the truth? I'll tell you the truth." She stated and wiped the forming tears on her eyes before it could roll down on her cheeks.

"I secretly helped Akashi-kun the whole time you were asleep. Your father was oblivious of it. I also knew of the fact of what he did to you, and Yuta-kun covered up for Akashi-kun because he knew what he was capable of doing."

"But do you know the outcome of all of that?" She asked me and I neither dare to look nor answer her.

"The Kiryuu family cut the ties from the Sendo family and Junnichi never knew of the reason." She concluded and looked intently at me. "But the truth was... marrying you is like committing suicide." She chuckled lowly then looked away, her bangs covering her eyes. "It's all because of Seijuro Akashi." She muttered then held the table for balance. "And we were nothing but a poor loner waiting to be devoured by darkness that time. We were so helpless, depressed... especially Junnichi."

She took a deep breath then let it all out. She waited and gauged my reaction, waiting for all of those statements to sink in my brain.

"Even so, there was a certain man from the past that approached us. You know your father, Yurika, he was a man full of pride. And accepting help from a man that he despises will take great defect on his pride and ego. But it's for the company, the company that was running for generations by the same string of family."

"There were no other options, and one wrong move and the company will slip out of our hands. And so, he swallowed his pride and shook his hand, Yurika."

Father... Father was so devoted to the company that my grandfather loved and my great ancestors loved. He even got into the point of sacrificing my happiness and freedom just to... no, I can't believe this... I can't believe that I call this greedy man my father.

What does this so called family company have that turned my father into what he is right now?

"Do you ever wonder the name of the man who offered help to us?" She drawled and her lips twitched.

"Who?" I mumbled just for her to continue.

I thought I was the one who's going to surprise them. However, I was the one who was surprised, dearly.

"Masaomi Akashi."