Chapter 23- Dylan?

Alex led me back onto the dance floor and I was glad for the distraction.

It was a slow-dance and the music quietly played in the background.

“You’re so beautiful,” he said quietly.

What?

He nodded, oops, I’d said that out loud.

“I mean it’s just-”

“ALEX!” it was James, “Can I please dance with my partner again?”

Alex slipped away, unfortunately; I was interested in what he had been saying.

“I thought you didn’t like dancing!” I accused James.

“I never said that, only that no one here was good enough to dance with but you’re not to shabby.”

“Is that supposed to be a compliment from the great James?” I joked

“You could call it what you will.”

The song changed and excitement filled me. Then next dance was the two-step, my favorite.

“Think you can handle it?” James whispered just loud enough so that I could hear.

“Definitely,” I smiled.

Despite my misgivings, I had actually enjoyed myself thus far.

We twirled around, perfectly in sync. Dancing with Alex and Henry was sweet but it was nothing like dancing with James.

Dancing with James was exhilarating and exciting. I had to force myself to breath.

I felt like we were the only two people in the entire world.

Faster and faster we spun, breathing together as one. The music stopped and James dipped me down, my hair inches from the floor.

His face was so close to mine and I could see a new emotion kindled within his fiery eyes.

James’ dark eyes bore into mine and I couldn’t look away.

That was when he kissed me.

It was short but it symbolized a shift in everything I knew James to be.

It was confusing.

“Was that another prank?” I asked quietly.

“No,” James whispered, pulling me to my feet, “The time for joking is over.”

“Thank you for that wonderful dance,” I said, my face heating up.

“It was my pleasure.”

I ran again.

I couldn’t keep doing this to myself! I couldn’t let myself have any more weaknesses. I had to be strong.

I was a gold! Gold’s couldn’t-

I couldn’t do this to myself. Not again.

I ran to the pond where the insanity within my life first began.

My disappearance would cause suspicions among the girls, especially if they’d seen James and I…dancing, but it didn’t matter anymore…after the last few minutes, all the rumors would be proven true.

“Where are you going!? You just came back!” a voice called from the ridge of the hill. Alex.

He must not have seen the two-step.

“What are you doing here?” I asked.

“Coming to get you. Again.”

Cute, and I enjoyed the gesture, not that I’d ever admit to it.

He came and sat down, looking in the water, his face turning a light pink.

“Are you ok?” I crouched down beside him, touching his forehead with the back of my hand, “You feel a bit warm.”

“It’s just- I have something to tell you,” Alex stumbled over the words.

I nodded encouragingly, maybe he’d finally get back to what he was talking about earlier.

He continued, “Except, all my years of language have not taught me how to say this properly, so I’m just going to say it. Aurelia, I love you.”

I shook my head, “It’s just, I- I - I mean I love you too-”

“There’s someone else isn’t there?” Alex pressed.

“No! It’s just-”

Alex dropped his gaze, “Don’t lie to me, I can see it in your eyes.”

There was someone else. Someone I had not been able to let go of.

Dylan.

It was time to tell Alex the truth, after everything, he deserved it, “Before I left there was a boy who I thought I could spend the rest of my life with. But people around me get hurt and I had to leave him to protect him.”

Or at least tell him the partial truth.

“What’s his name?” Alex asked softly.

“Dylan,” I answered, twirling a piece of grass in my hands so I didn’t have to look into his sad dark eyes, "I just wish I could have had a chance to say goodbye to-" 

“Dylan? Dylan Johnson?”

I nodded, confused.

Alex laughed but there was real sadness beneath it, “He was right in front of you for the entire time, Dylan has been going to this school for the last four years.”

***

Hey guys, there's some real drama going on here. So which team are you on?

Dylan?

Henry?

Alex?

or maybe...

James?

Anyways please 

vote

comment

fan!