Chapter 3 - Tracked Down

Start from the beginning

Jace is screaming. I'm running away. I'm in my bed and trying to hide my head under the covers, wishing I could shrink away to nothingness so I won't have to face this horrible life of being a werewolf who has a mate that he hates—

I opened my eyes as soon as I hear my mother's voice. I could feel the back of her cool hand on my forehead. Her eyes were filled with worry.

I pulled myself up and leaned against the headboard. Every part of my body ached with pain. My head was the worst. I couldn't believe what happened yesterday. It wasn't a nightmare. I was really at Sunny's house and Jace went mad.

Jace. Is he still alive now? 

"You're not well," she said.

"I'm fine, Mom," I lied.

"Why are you here?" she asked. "You were supposed to be at Sunny's place with your brother. Your brother called me at midnight asking me if you were home. I had to wake up to check on you."

"I'm sorry, Mom."

"Well, if you feel better now, go clean up. We have to go to the Alpha's house."

"WHAT?" I screamed accidentally. "But—why?"

They're tracking you down, Jordan. You're dead. The whole pack will see you as a coward soon. 

"Something happened to Jace. He's tied to a mate bond. The Alpha had to bring him to the hospital because things were getting bad. He's just been released from the E.R. this morning, the doctors couldn't find anything wrong with him. So the Alpha wants to see if there really is a mate hiding among us."

I was swinging around in anxiety and I accidentally knocked my digital clock off the bedside table. I gasped when it smashed to pieces.

Mom shot me a look of confusion. "Jordan, are you sure you're really okay?"

"Yeah, nothing ... I'm just surprised," I lied.

"Come on. Clean up, sweetheart. Then come eat your breakfast."

I brushed my teeth so hard that my gums bled. I kept swaying around and all type of things flew to the ground. I had to rearrange bottles of shampoos and shower creams back to the shelves since I had scattered everything.

"Jordan, are you okay? What are you doing?" Mom shouted.

"I'm okay!" I said.

I cleaned myself up and dressed myself in a white T-shirt and track-bottomed trousers. As I descended the stairs, I heard a cry.

It was Lisa, Jace's mother.

She was all over my mother on the couch, crying.

"Sarah," Lisa tried to stop her tears, "the girl has to come out of hiding. I have no idea who she might be." 

"It's okay, Liz. Dan knows what to do. I know he's smart enough for this," Mom responded.

I ate the pancakes my mom made but I didn't taste a thing.

Dad was sitting across from them, thinking hard. He hadn't said a word since I came downstairs. He usually greeted me if he saw me, but I was nothing but a ghost at the moment.

"What is it, sweetheart?" my mother asked him.

 "Nothing," he said. "It's weird. I'm wondering who this hiding mate is. Why would a girl hide from that kid? I thought those young girls would die to be his mate."

My chest felt heavy. I couldn't do this anymore.

I couldn't finish the breakfast. I ran to the kitchen to sooth my beating heart and threw out the unfinished pancakes. I paced back and forth in the main hall and sat silently on a couch facing a muted TV show.