Chapter 2 - Anxiety

Start from the beginning

 "Dude, just tell me what happened. This is bad, you know?"

 I ignored him and ran to the lockers to get my stuff.

 Just as I shut my locker, I felt a strong hand gripping my wrist tightly. It pulled me around and slammed me against the locker—my head throbbed as it hit the metal hard.

 Jace.

 "Tell me what happened yesterday," he said.

 I struggled to get my hand out of his grip but he was too strong. My heart was thudding so fast I was afraid Jace could see it beating out of my chest. My face was wet with tears and I was filled with horrible anxiety.

 "Let me go, Jace."

 "What happened yesterday, Jordan? Why did you hit me?" he said, gripping me harder.

 "It's none of your fucking business!" I said.

 I was being too emotional. He might sense I was his mate.

 "What did I do, Jordan? Tell me now!"

 My tears kept coming out. But it was just tears—I didn't shout or scream or sob. It was just flowing down my cheeks.

 "Just let me go, Jace," I said exhaustedly.

 He didn't. Until I heard a girl's voice from behind me

  "Jace," murmured the gem of Bloomingdale High.

 Heather stood there watching us with a confused expression. She was in her skimpy attire as usual. Her long legs shimmered under the light; her boobs seemed like two balloons that would pop in one slight touch. But all of that was enough for Jace to forget me and face her.

 As soon as his grip loosened, I ran to the cafeteria and found Adam waiting for me. We usually hung out there, killing time as we waited for first period to start.

 Adam was my best mortal friend—he didn't know I was a werewolf. One day he might since most kids in this school were from two of Washington D.C.'s gigantic wolf packs. I tried to look calm in front of him, but I knew he was already sensing my turmoil.

 "Are you okay?" he asked.

 "Yeah, I'm—I'm fine," I replied, sounding nonchalant.

 Jace's my mate.

 I pressed my face on the table as I was going to cry again. But I couldn't muffle the sounds—obviously, even an idiot would know that I was bursting out into tears.

 "Dude, seriously, what's going on?"

 I looked up, took a tissue from the table, wiped my eyes and tried to breathe. Then I stared at Adam. He was confused as hell.

 "I—I—"

 How could I explain the mate bond to a human?

 "There you are," said a voice. It belonged to Sunny.

 Sunny West was my other friend. She was the only best friend I had who was actually a werewolf from the pack my family and I were in. If she'd been a guy she would have been the eighth member in the Little Pack.

 She was my only female friend from the pack. She knew how highly incompatible I was with the clique of boys I was forced to hang around with.

 "Jordan," she said, sitting down next to me, "what's wrong, sweetie?"

 She sat down beside me. God, she doesn't know. I thought the fight with Jace had spread through the entire pack already.

  "I'm fine." I smiled, but I knew I couldn't hide it from them.