The Henchman

Philip

 "Do you have any last words pesent," I spat. The withered boy tried to respond but could not utter any words past his constant sobbing. It's all the queen putting on an act. She thinks hanging a  theif here or there it will show the common wealth that the court won't tolerate crooks. That they are merely there for her entertainment . A mothers child should not be "despensed", like a broken doll, for trying to feed his family. If i had the power to put her pretty little head on this very block I would. I would not hesatate to swing, and her death would not torment me as the others do. Painfully slow I raised my ax, and at that moment a sob broke through the gathered croud. Daring to look up I saw an older woman flinging herself toward the rising . She was no more than skin and bone, filth covered her matted hair. Her clothes were thin and filled with ragged holes. But even though the woman appered to be a walking courpse you could see that once she might have been very beautiful. Surprisingly she was able to get past the people sourronding her, and was now at a full sprint towards the boy and me. Panic surged through me. I tried to catch her attention, hoping praying that she would see the warning in my eyes. But, she would only look at the little thief . Before she even crossed half the distance two of the imperal guards were in front of her.

            "Let me see my son!," she shouted. The guards slowly crained their heads towards each other sharing a silent thought. And I knew there was no hope. One of the men quickly got behind the woman holding her hands together, I could tell that she was tring to process what had happened when the second guard as quickly and shurly as the first dug his sword into her chest. The croud went silent, but the prisoners sobs incressed, and i knew if i did not do something soon my head would be on the very block. So i raised my axe one final time and swong. After the boys cries were silenced the croud became almost mute. Soon the towns people ,excluding one girl, started to dissapate and I was left with the boys death in my mind.    

Sybil

     Last week my entire life ended. It all started when I was robbed on my way to the market. It had been a hard year for crops, but mum,Charles and I made it through making just enough to last us till the next planting. When I got into town to buy the winters food I saw an old man who looked hurt so I went over to make sure he was alright. When I got near I asked him if he was lost or in need of any help, he told me he hurt his foot walking and only needed to get to his house down the street. Even though I didn't fancy carring a smelly man of course I couldn't just leave the little guy on the side of the road to meet his death! So,reluctantly, I picked him up and led him through an ally to get to his home. I should have expected something..anything to happen,  really a house that is "conveniently" placed on the other side of an ally? Anyways half way through the passage the man stopped, and said wait. Wanting to get to the market as soon as possible I didn't listen at first, I just tried walking again, but the brute wouldn't budge. So I stopped turned around and looked at him asking if everything was alright. He just looked up at me with a smile on his face and said, " I am now my dear." Quicker than I thought he could manage he pulled the pouch of money I had out of my belt, and shoved me to the ground. And before I could get my familys money back the old man ran out of the ally leaving me alone, hurt, and penniless.

         After that our luck got worse, much much worse. Mum struggled to bring in enough food for all three of us, let alone one cow, a bull, a calf, and a horse. The calf died not a week after birth and soon after his mother followed. We sold the bull  for 5 Vints, barely enough to make a proper meal. And Charles forgot to lock the horses pen during a storm, so Julie, our horse, escaped. For food I was forced to check old food bins for potato peelings or old vegatables, which were then boiled into a broth. It tasted horrid, but we had no chance... if we didn't scour for old food scraps we would die.

              Charles, being the brilliant little boy he was, had a fantastic idea. During supper one night he told mum and I that he had a way to solve our food crises. After the word "food" was spoken I was hooked. Not only was I done with the mush meals that tasted of vomit, but I was worried for my family. Mother used to glow, she was one of the most beautiful women in the village. She was very pale with aburn curls and big green eyes she was stunning, and her smile was dazelling. Even in our situation she had a way of outshining the most wealthy of people. And Charles was only ten but you could tell he was going to grow up to be a handsome man. Mother says he looks exactly like papa, with sleek dark black hair and eyes just as dark to match, and his skin was as ritch as caramels. I on the other hand was not as lucky in looks, as if my body couldn't decide to be like papas or like mums.  My hair was frizzy and very unruly,it could not be tamed. My skin was still light brown, but very very light, not even close to Charles beautiful coloring. But, I am fine with those little imperfections what I could not handel were my eyes. One was very green ,and the other was extremely black. They were the only thing people would look at when they met me, and I dispised it. They would pretend they didn't notice, but I would always see them trying to figure out what was wrong with them. I just want to scream, to tell them to take a good long look so they would focus on something else. Thank the heavens that my height and nose were perfectly proportioned or I would honestly be a freak. Now though we all have lost at least twenty pounds, I look even more odd, mother doesen't smile anymore, and Char is constintly sick.  

            But back to his wonderful plan    

     " GO ON!" mother squeeled in in anticipation.