Chapter 21 ~ It Made All the Difference

The next morning, I overslept due to the previous night when Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I encountered Sirius Black, watched Lupin turn into a werewolf, being just inches away from death, supposedly saw our parents, and went back in time and had to repeat those events. Sounded fun, right?

Well, I almost got killed.

Hermione overslept as well and I didn't blame her. We went through some tough shit last night. We were the only ones in the dorms, so everyone else was probably down in the Great Hall for breakfast. We woke up at the same time and I gave her a smile and we just started laughing.

"Rough night?" I asked her.

She started laughing again. "I'm pretty sure Lupin had it worse than we did."

I almost forgot about that. We didn't see him last night after he tried to kill us twice. I was pretty sure he did have a rough night. I felt sorry for him, to be honest. He couldn't control it and that was what made it worse for him.

We both got dressed and headed down to the Gryffindor Common Room. Usually, Harry and Ron would both be down there. But due to Ron's leg being broken, he had to stay in the Hospital Wing overnight. So it was just Harry.

Hermione went down for breakfast, while Harry and I were going to visit Lupin to see how he was doing after last night. We went to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom and up to his office.

"Hello, Harry. Max," he said before we even knocked on the door. He was listening to some jazz music and dancing when we came in. We looked at him weird, but then he pointed at the map. "I saw you two coming." He waved his wand at a chest behind it, closing and locking itself. "I've looked worse, believe me." He let a grin fall on his face.

We looked around and saw that he was packing up. "You've been sacked," I stated sadly.

"No. I resigned, actually," he replied while ripping up old papers.

"Resigned? Why?" Harry asked him. He seemed mad about this.

"Well, it seems that somebody let slip the nature of my condition. Tomorrow, the owls will start arriving and parents will not want someone like me teaching their children."

"But Dumbledore--" I started.

"Dumbledore has already risked enough on my behalf. Besides, people like me are...Well, let's just say that I'm used to it by now."

He waved his wand again and all of his things packed up and locked tightly. Harry and I watched it all, looking sad as the song ended. Lupin took notice of this. "Why do you two look so miserable?"

"None of it made a difference," Harry started. "Pettigrew escaped."

"Didn't make any difference? Harry, it made all the difference in the world. You two uncovered the truth. You saved an innocent man from a terrible fate. It made a great deal of difference." He chuckled at the last sentence. He picked up his bag and started walking towards the door. "If I am proud of anything, it is of how much you two have learned this year. Now, since I am no longer your teacher, I feel no guilt whatsoever about giving this back to you." He handed us the map back. I almost forgot about that. "So, now I'll say goodbye, Harry, Max. I feel sure we'll meet again sometime." We both nodded. "Until then, Mischief managed." He waved his wand at the map and everything on it disappeared. Lupin left his office, leaving us there to watch him exit the classroom.

"Is he right? Did it really make a difference?" I asked Harry.

"Think about it. We almost got killed last night by a werewolf and Dementors and we went back in time to save Sirius. What do you think?"