Chapter Three

"We should stop." I pushed Ryan's head from the crook of my neck and sighed.

"What?" He stepped back. "What's the matter?"

"We're supposed to be seeing you guys today. Here I am sneaking off at 7am to meet you, and do this." I shook my head. "This needs to stop."

"We only had sex once. It's not like it's some huge two year affair. We don't have to do that anymore, but I just like being around you." He smiled and pecked my cheek. I gagged in my mouth.

"No. I have to stop. I love my husband too much."

"Are you serious?" Ryan's voice grew louder. "He's the one who's too stupid enough to realize that all those late nights and all the early mornings you've been gone, you were somewhere you weren't supposed to be. He's an idiot."

"No he's not." I began crying. Jimmy's so innocent and perfect. I would never forgive myself if he found out. "I love him. I need to go."

I walked out of the small apartment and heard Ryan's footsteps behind me. "Nancy, just come back! I thought you were cool with it."

I stopped walking and turned around. "I can't do this anymore, I can't do this to Jimmy."

-

"What's one," I placed another apple next to the one Winnie held in her tiny hands. "Plus one more?"

She looked up at me, cluelessly and smiled.

"Oh come on, Winn you know it! Count 'em!" I chuckled at her cute little smile.

"One.." She pointed to the first one, then looked at me for reassurance. I nodded.

"Go on, you got it."

"T-t-two?"

"Yeah!" I jumped out of the chair and started dancing. She giggled and clapped. "See, the smartest girl in the whole wide world." I poked her nose.

"Thank you daddy!" She uttered quietly yet cheery.

"Okay, what's for breakfast?" As soon as the words came out, Nancy entered the room.

"Waffles?!" Nancy smiled and walked into the kitchen to join us.

"Yes!" Winnie's voice was so cute. Every time she spoke, my heart fluttered. I couldn't believe she was mine.

"Alright sweetheart," Nancy put her bag in a chair and went straight to the stove. "Waffles coming right up!"

"Hey, where'd you go?" I asked, remembering I woke up at 6:30am and she was gone.

"I went to one of the movie sets in Brooklyn and dropped off some things."

"Oh okay." I nodded and watched as Winnie played with some toys on the tables. "I'm gonna go brush my teeth and grab Franny."
"Okay, you want eggs?" Nancy asked, still focused on the waffles.

"If you don't mind."

"No," She turned and smiled. "You got it, Jim."

"Love you." I headed towards the bathroom.

-

Later in the day, we headed over to Lindsay's house and Nancy was acting strange.

"Can we go another day? I need to do some paperwork."

"I thought you didn't have any?" I said, looking down at Winnie sleeping in the stroller Nance was pushing.

"I know there's some I forgot to drop off this morning."

"You can't do it tomorrow?"
She remained silent for a few moments. "I guess I could."

"Yeah, Gracie really wants to see Winnie." I continued pushing our other sleeping beaute, Franny.

"I bet." Nancy said.

The silence was killing me, but we finally arrived at Lindsay and Ryan's place only to hear glass breaking and yelling.

"I think we should go." Nancy's face turned red and Winnie's eyes fluttered open. Franny stayed sound asleep.

"No," I walked up the steps, leaving Franny in the stroller next to Nancy. "Stay here with the girls."

"Jimmy it's not a good idea."

I looked back at Nancy. "That's my best friend in there. Anything could be happening. They're expecting us anyways." I went ahead and knocked. No answer, still screaming. I grew nervous. I knocked again, harder. No response. I fiddled with the doorknob and the door opened slightly. I went inside.

"I hate you!" Lindsay threw a huge pot at Ryan, who ducked it amazingly.

"You're a bitch! I'm glad I fucked her!" Ryan yelled back, holding a beer can in hand.

"Hey!" I shouted. "Stop fighting! You two have a daughter in here!"

They stopped yelling, and Lindsay began crying. "You cheating bastard. Get out."

"Yeah, cry." Ryan walked over towards me. "Talk to your wife."

I squinted my eyes in confusion. "My wife has nothing to do with you being a shit husband and a shit father."

"Oh yeah?" Ryan and I were now face to face. "Ask her where she was this morning." He walked out of the house.

"Uncle Jimmy, I want to go home with you." Gracie emerged from the corner with red eyes and quivering lips.

"Yeah Grace. Whatever you want." I looked over at Lindsay who was still crying. "What happened?"

"Jimmy, I don't want to talk about this right now. I think it'd be best if me, you, and Nancy all sat down at a later date and time."

"What?" I asked. "Why Nancy?"

Nancy managed to bring both strollers in the house and she was crying also.

"I don't want you in my house." Lindsay motioned to Nancy.

"Hey, what did Nancy do to you?"

"Stab me in the back." Lindsay took Gracie's hand. "I hope it was worth it, Nancy."

"Nancy, why are you crying? What happened?"

"Jimmy, quit being oblivious! She cheated on you with Ryan, okay?" Lindsay snapped. "They were together this morning and have been seeing each other like that for six months behind our backs."

I felt my heart drop. I looked up at Nancy who was walking closer to me. "Is that true?"

Nancy didn't answer me. She just hugged me. I realized that this just might be the truth. "I'm sorry."

I released myself from the hug and put my hands on my head.

"Nancy, I love you." I shook my head. "I love you. And you.."

"Get out! Get out! Get the fuck out of my house, I hate you!" Lindsay got up and yelled in Nancy's face.

"I'll take care of Winnie and Franny, just go please." I felt a tear fall from both my eyes as she walked out and shut the door behind her. I walked over to the stroller and saw Winnie's bright face turned to worry.

"Daddy, are you..?" She pointed to my eyes.

"Yes, daddy's crying." I sat on the floor and cried for the first time in front of my daughters. Franny was awake, staring.

"Jimmy, get up. I'm not letting you do this." Lindsay extended her hand. "I have them, just go into my room."