Chapter 26 - Getting Even

Start from the beginning

I laughed at him while he smirked, "That's not really necessary."

"It is," he protested, "Now, I can't believe my little girl is turning eighteen tomorrow."

I sighed, "It was bound to happen sometime."

A man came in to the cafe and immediately greeted my father. He looked almost the same age as him except his hair was a little less gray.

"Hey Buddy, you ready for our shift tonight?" he asked.

"Yea, I can't wait to stay up all night." my father replied sarcastically and they both laughed.

My father turned to me, "Hey Sam, you remember Frank right?"

Now I had recognized the man. He was my dads best friend from the job. He used to come over sometimes for beer before my mother died.

"Hey Sammy," he winked, "You've gotten old."

"I could say the same to you." I replied jokingly.

He laughed and patted my dad on the back, "What a girl."

As him and his friend chatted I had realized that my father was actually being normal again. He wasn't drinking all the time and sitting in his room after his shifts. Maybe it is possible for people to be fixed after being broken so much. That's part of life, right? We learn how to fix ourselves. Sometimes, we just need a little help.

-------------------

"Harry, I'm home." I called as I shut the door behind me and removed my shoes. There was no reply and I noticed that all the lights were off.

"Harry?" I called again as I turned the hallway light on.

I walked in to the living room but there was no sign of him. Suddenly, I felt someone grab me and I screamed as they turned me around. I sighed in relief when I saw Harry there smiling cheekily.

"You idiot! You scared the living crap out of me!" I shrieked as he began laughing hysterically.

"That was priceless!" he exclaimed as he cooled down.

"Jesus Christ! I thought you were John or a robber!"

"Aww, I'm sorry." he cooed wrapping his arms around me from the side and kissing my cheek.

I ignored him and crossed my arms, "I loveeeee youuuuu Sammmm. Forgive me, please?" he begged in a cute voice.

"Sammmmmmmm I'm sorryyyyyyyy"

"Please forgive meeeee." he continued resting his head on my shoulder.

I sighed and uncrossed my arms, "Fine, I can't stay mad at you."

He smiled showing his dimples and pulled me in to his arms, my head resting on his chest, "Don't worry, I would protect you if there was a robber."

"Sure, Haz, sure." I joked.

"Let's watch a movie." he suggested.

"Ok, which one?" I asked pulling out of his grasp and laying down on the couch.

"Hmmm, how about The Last Song?" he questioned skimming the movies.

"I love that movie!" I exclaimed.

"Alright, I guess that one's the winner then." he chuckled putting the DVD in.

"I didn't know you were in to girly movies." I teased.

"Psh, am not, I'm doing it to set a romantic mood." he replied.

"Sureeeeee."

"Are you going to move your feet?" he asked gesturing to my legs that were taking up the whole couch.