Drinks and Song

"Come on! Join us for once!"

Poor Leliana. She had stumbled on the group of us in the bar, as she was attempting to give me the latest letter from my older sister. Instead of finding me in my room, however, she found me slightly drunk, next to two other guys who were a little bit more drunk than I was. While Blackwall knew how to hold it in and remain somewhat civil, and it was Dorian's turn to be dry in our personal drinking relationship, Iron Bull had no such reservations, and had promptly flagged the spymaster down the moment she had walked through the door.

I smiled apologetically at her as she approached.

"Sorry about him," I said. "He sees a dragon in Emprius du Lion, and suddenly he thinks he's already beat him."

"Damn right I did!" he exclaimed. "You should've seen its scales. Bright red, like blood in crystal form. And the teeth! It was glorious!"

The spymaster handed me the packaged letter.

"This is from your sister."

I nodded, taking the package from her outstretched hand.

"Dorian, hand me that glass of water, will you?"

Taking a sip from the glass Dorian provided, my head cleared a little, and I could suddenly read her horrible handwriting much better.

"It's good to hear about Mother," I said finally. "I'm glad she's recovered."

"What about Serena?" Dorian inquired.

"Leg's still not playing nice," I sighed, putting her letter in my pocket, for storage later in the evening. "She's tried taking up jogging, to keep herself in shape, but it hurts like hell all the same. She's not giving up, though."

"She never has," he agreed.

"I still feel awful about the whole thing, though," I replied quietly, going back to my light ale. "She finally recovers from her injuries from Adamant, and what happens? She makes it all worse in the Arbor Wilds."

"She knew the risks," Leliana argued. "She wanted to help however she could."

"And now she'll never go back," I replied grimly, downing my glass. "Being a Templar was her life, then it was the Inquisition. Now neither are options for her." I checked my glass again, only to find it empty. "Dorian? I could use another."

"You should wait a little longer," he replied, taking a drink of his own water glass.

I frowned at him, but didn't argue.

"Hey! Leliana!" cried Bull, completely oblivious as always. "You were a Bard, right? Play us a song!"

The residents of the bar roared in approval. She looked only slightly flustered.

"Are-are you sure? I really don't remember all that many..."

"I know one," I replied, getting her attention. "There's one tune I sometimes hear you humming when you're up in the tower. Not the one from the archery competition, but another one. Longer."

Her eyes flashed knowingly.

"If you all are so eager, perhaps I should."

The spymaster stood a little straighter, climbing atop one of the stools like she had done so all her life. Clearing her throat, she began to sing. She was quiet, but her voice was powerful all the same. It was surprising how soprano she sang, with her high-pitched speaking voice.

Elder, your time is come

Now I am filled with sorrow

Weary eyes need resting

Heart has become grey and slow

In waking sleep is freedom

I could feel everything in the room slowing down. A couple people were already nodding off, and Blackwall wasn't far behind them.

We sing, rejoice

We tell the tales

We laugh and cry

We love one more

Day

She went through the song again for good measure. I could hear something extra in the song, though, perhaps something from Leliana herself. No one else seemed to notice, though. As the chatter slowly turned to silence, she stepped down from the stool, taking the seat next to me. She took a glance at me.

"How was that?"

I smiled.

"Where did you hear it?"

"I first heard the song in a Dalish camp in the Brecilian Forest," she replied, not meeting my eyes. "It's originally Elvan."

"I didn't know that. Why were you in a Dalish camp?"

She didn't respond for a while.

"It was at least ten years ago. With my love."

How stupid of me.

"We attended the funeral of one of their daughters, and they sang this song during the service," she continued. "Later, I was given the human translation by the village chief, and I sort of grew attached to it."

"It reminds you of him, doesn't it?"

She sighed deeply.

"It does. His voice could kill an Archdemon all by itself, it's so bad, but he wanted to learn this one song, the one that meant so much to me. In time, I also discovered the Ballad of Ayesleigh, though by then, he had already left for the far west. When I hear that one, it reminds me of my friends. Alistair, Sten, Wynne, even Zevren and Morrigan. We had great times together..."

We sat in silence for a moment. I watched her try to conceal the sadness in her voice.

"It's not so bad, though," she replied eventually.

"And why's that?"

"We met you."

I shrugged, could feel the drink getting heavier.

"It's what I do."

"I want whatever you're drinking," the bard chuckled.

I handed her my glass.

"Mystery drink, on the house."