Chapter Eleven

I spent the last two hours mostly motionless in the corner of the Cullens' living room. There wasn't anything we could have discussed that could lead to a final conclusion. I can feel everyone else is agitated as well. Apparently, the Cullens are not particularly fond of the Volturi.

You're right about that, Edward's voice speaks up.

I don't turn my head to him but I reply. About you guys and the Volturi?

Yes, he answers.

Why aren't you? I mean, I've seen news about governments in the human world and they're not very pleasant and a few are quite troublesome. Is it like that with the Volturi? I ask, still curious. A part of me wants to learn as much as I can about this world. Clearly, I am not knowledgable about the world that I'm a part of.

Not pleasant is an understatement, Edward tells me and I can see flashes of images playing like a movie trailer in his head.

The first one is the worst. I see the two vampires I saw in Alice's vision, Aro and Caius, and another seemingly older and calmer one. They were each sitting on a grand, sturdy looking chair, in a large hall, all made of marble. Standing in front of them, looking like guards, were two young looking vampires, both in very dark cloaks. Their eyes were deep red, one was a boy and one was a girl. By human standards, they couldn't be more than thirteen. They looked very similar but something about them felt eerie.

Then I see Bella walking alongside of me, her skin still flushed with rosy colored, heart still beating. She was still a human. Then I realize I am seeing everything through Edward's eyes. Moments later, he caught the eyes of the girl. Jane. Her name was Jane. Her eyes squinted and unbearable pain suddenly surged through my body. Before I can digest it, the image change.

I see another young vampire in regular clothes writhing in pain. Jane was looking at her. The torture came from her. Then, a large man come and tore her limbs, killing her. I cringe. But the flashes are not over.

The last one I see is an army of dark cloaked figures. In the middle were Aro, Caius and the calmer looking vampire. Marcus. Jane and the similar looking boy were there too. They were there for Renesmee. They were going to kill her.

I gasp.

Bella is the first to notice.

"Are you okay?" she asks.

I look at her and before I can answer, Edward speaks up.

"That would be my fault. I uh... gave her a few reasons why we are not quite fond of the Volturi," he says.

Bella looks at her husband and without asking, she seems to know what he showed me.

"Carlisle's here," Alice announces suddenly and a second later, the front door opens.

He joins us a second later. Rosalie and Emmett are the only ones not around. Edward had told me earlier that they are going to hunt and perhaps spend a few days away. The rest of the family is in the room.

Without Carlisle having to ask, Edward gives him a quick explanation to him. When he's updated with everything, Carlisle clears his throat.

"Samantha, I take it someone has explained to you about the Volturi," he says.

I nod.

"Good. So you know why this is a very serious matter," he continues.

I nod again. I don't know what to say.