Epilogue

One Year Later

One Year Later

Carefully Quinn sewed a crown of lavender and pink carnations, tucking in a few lilies here and there to offer a bit more stability and pattern to the formation. It was early in the morning, the horizon fresh with a new day's light, bathing the sky in a carroty blushing shade. He was sitting alone at a bench beside the flower garden, a basket of freshly cut red roses at his feet. The sound of birds chirped their early tunes, the sound of their wings fluttering about the trees shading the hidden cottage. As he tightened the last lily in place, he looked over the small accomplishment and was satisfied with the outcome.

It was then when he heard the creak of a bed just over his shoulder, quiet footsteps nearing him from behind. "Good morning," he heard next, and when he glanced up over his shoulder, he met the dawn sleepy smile of Oliver.

The blond boy was bare from the chest up, partially hidden by the low sill of the window to their bedroom. He was still the slight, soft faced boy from before, ruffled tresses like a river of sunlight down to his pale, trim shoulders. Quinn stood from the bench and strode to the open window, "Bonjour mon amour," he said in return, raising the crown of flowers to place it atop Oliver's head. "Venez ici," Quinn beckoned, then.

Having acutely become capable of understanding small bits of the French Quinn had been teaching him, Oliver went back into the room, dressing into a pair of tan trousers and a maroon button down shirt tucked at the waist. "Come here," his lover had said, and in no time, Oliver was outside at the flower garden as well.

Quinn patted a hand on the empty space of the bench beside him. When Oliver joined him, the dark-haired boy pulled him close, pressing his nose into the crown of lilies and carnations, the pleasant floral scent mixing in quite nicely with Oliver's natural lovely aroma. Kissing at Oliver's temple, Quinn said, "Did you sleep well?"

Nestling into the curve of Quinn's arm, Oliver nodded, "Yes, but I would have been happier to wake up with you beside me."

"Je suis désolé," Quinn apologized, "I awoke much earlier than usual this morning, and could not get back to sleep when I tried. I thought perhaps a bit of fresh air would help me."

"Is there something wrong?"

"Of course not," Quinn shook his head, "It's just...it has been a year since you and I came to this place, and a part of me is proud to say that we have made it much further than I first thought we could. I promised you a life free from the burdens of fear, one of peace and bliss, and though there was a short time where it proved vulnerable, we are here together, safe and sound in a home that has become our own place of solidarity. In short, it has been a year since all of this may not have been possible. I only sit here to bask in the reality that what we wanted from the very beginning, since the very first time I spoke of love to you, all of it has come true."

Oliver smiled at the thought of their present life, "All of this is your doing. If you had not put everything for our future into place — I am glad I will never know where else we may be."

"And this will never end."

"Quincy?"

"Oui, mon amour?"

"Are we going to visit the Lancechester manor? The letter we received spoke of next week. I would love to see them all again, and to know of how Jasper is doing. You could meet with your friend Timothy again as well. I'm sure he would like to see you."

Quinn nodded, "Of course, we will go. I would love to see them all again just as much as you. A part of me wonders if the Master has found peace."

"I do hope so," Oliver said.

As they remained there in the flower garden, Oliver couldn't believe just how far he and Quinn had come. Even without the possibility of having a real family with children and whatnot, Oliver was perfectly okay with that, because he had all the family he needed. With the trips he and Quinn took back to Southampton every now and again, and always being able to come back here, Oliver was content with the life he'd been given. He would gladly go through everything again, every false heartbreak, every worrisome moment, even the long agonizing ten years it'd taken for Quinn to come back to him, all of it if this would be the outcome each time.

No matter at what point in time his life began, Oliver knew he would someday end up here in this ever cherished moment, leaving him just as he was now: in the arms of the young man who'd played a part in showing him what love was supposed to be. Trust, honesty, promise, and faith. These were the things that made he and Quinn work from their very first meeting as innocent young boys.

And just as he'd felt as a small child, Oliver was safe beside Quinn, and would be assured every step of the way that nothing would ever change like it had when either of them hadn't been in control. Now, this was their life to do with as they pleased, to make their own decisions, and there would never be another person to challenge that. Quinn would make sure of it. No matter who they were, no matter what they did, with each and every bone in his body, Quinn would do as he always has.

Protect the love of his life.

"I love you, Oliver," he said against the morning silence.

Oliver met the eyes of the young man beside him, a warm, calming smile tugging lightly at the corners of his mouth. Pressing their lips together in an ever joyous kiss, he whispered sweet words of sincerity. "And I love you, Quincy. Today and always."

____

Thanks for reading! :) xx.

comment/vote if you like.