Chapter 2 - She's On The Hunt

Start from the beginning

“Maybe I should have left you there too,” I grumbled softly and he chuckled since he heard it, causing me to smirk slightly.

“Smell something you didn’t like?” he asked, referring back to my scrunched up face but in a serious tone this time and not teasing me – for once.

Shaking my head slowly, I wriggled my bare toes to get his attention, “My feet look filthy, like I live in mud or something and have never heard of a bath.”

Chris started laughing and Brody joined in as he walked towards us, “You have been living in the woods but you do get baths,” he smirked as he pulled out the chair directly to my right but a low warning growl from across the room made him pause in his actions and slowly look up to glare at Saxon before he smiled smugly and quickly sat down next to me.

Shaking my head softly as I sighed loudly, “You can’t help yourself, can you?”

Brody shrugged, “What can I say? The great spirits really gave you a crappy deal in the mate department.”

“He’s not that bad and you know it,” I pointed out, getting more and more use to openly defending Saxon and not having to come up with some excuse as to why since they all know why now.

“Yeah bro’, she could have ended up with someone like Lewis,” Harper grinned, coming up and yanking the chair out from under my feet and sitting down with a satisfied smile, “Food will be ready shortly.”

I nodded at the food part but glared over him stealing my chair.

“Lewis beats Saxon hands down, no argument,” Brody grunted, glaring over at Saxon who was pretty much giving Brody the look of death, “Even if he is only human.” I groaned loudly before turning to face Brody.

“Unless you want me getting all cuddly with him, stop ticking him off like this,” I muttered, then added, “You know how defensive and overprotective he is.”

“I'm surprised he hasn’t neutered you yet,” Chris casually commented, shrugging as he looked up at Brody giving him daggers, “What? Just saying, I’ve known the guy all my life.”

“Can we change the subject, you all have this same style of conversation in our heads and while I can actually use my mouth to speak for once – I want to have a topic change,” I glared at all three of them.

“Agreed, Brody’s sulky tantrum is getting old now,” Harper grinned at our brother which turned into a wince as Brody kicked him under the table.

Brody changed the subject though, “Wonder if there is anything fun to do in this town?” he thought out loud.

I was about to agree with him but the smell of freshly cooked food wafered up my nose and my stomach growled hungrily as my eyes locked onto the tray with plates of food that Saxon was bringing towards me. He smiled slightly, shaking his head a little at the starved expression on my face as he walked up to next to me.

“You’re not that starved Eva,” he muttered, still smiling as he sat down a plate with a burger and steaming hot chips in front of me smothered in gravy and my mouth was watering at the sight as I quickly grabbed a chip and shoved it into my mouth, only to gasp for air as I waved my burnt tongue.

“Ow, hot,” I complained as I blew on my next chip first.

“Duh, it was just cooked,” Chris rolled his eyes.

“Where’s mine?” Brody grunted, looking up at Saxon who simply smirked and nodded back over to the counter where three other meals where sitting and waiting to be picked up. Brody grumbled some nasty words under his breath as he stood up along with the other two.