Could There Be Light?

I'm a fool who forgives without needing a reason. So when she turned around, told me she could change, I accepted her offer. I took her back with only one condition: if she hurt my friends none of this would last. She could hurt me all she wanted, I would simply forgive her again and again because that's who I am. I knew that if she hurt my friends again I would have a harder time forgiving.

I was broken when she offered to change. She'd already won. She'd basically destroyed me and yet, she wanted to change and I was willing to forgive the one who'd destroyed me. I'd felt her wrath and I survived... barely. 

Getting to know her was an experience unlike any I'd ever had before. She wasn't the type of person I'd normally befriend, in fact, she was the opposite of anybody I would willingly be around. I still chose to let her in my life. For every moment I knew her, she had evil to match every scrap of good I could offer and even then I still saw something inside her. There had to be good. There had to light. Even the dark side of the moon is connected to the light side. Everyone can find redemption. Everyone can be healed.

I guess when I first let her in, she seemed so weak and helpless that I couldn't say no. I couldn't hurt her like she had hurt me. For all the darkness she'd endured, someone had to shine a light. I wasn't the sun. I couldn't brighten her entire world, but I could at least point her towards something lighter. It was her choice if she wanted to turn.