Nightfall would be coming soon so Tom started back in the direction of the ship. The moss covering the ground under the vast canopy of trees provided a very soothing setting to let his thoughts wander and he certainly had a lot to think about. His life would never be the same now that Ana had assimilated him into her world.

Later that night, Tom stood outside the ship admiring how the moon provided a mystical light to the forest. As he looked up at it, he thought, how odd that he was one of the few men to ever travel there. His parents and Naomi would freak out if they knew. Maybe someday he’d be able to tell them. It was time to find a purpose, a meaningful direction to head now that he had the means to do so much more than before.

He held up his wrist with the band on it and said, “Are you there Ana?”

“Yes,” Ana replied.

Tom leaned back on the outer surface of the ship which was currently in its tear-shaped, chameleon form that mimicked the local foliage. “You said you would provide me with whatever information I wanted right?”

“Sure. All you have to do is ask.”

“Ok…” What would be a good place to start? He decided to get right to the heart of the matter. “Do you know of any terrorist groups that have nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons?”

“That depends on how you define terrorist,” Ana said.

Puzzled, Tom asked, “I’m sure you know what a terrorist is.”

“Yes, but every political group has a different list of who they consider to be a terrorist. For example, the United States is on a few lists as a terrorist nation and they do have all the weapons you asked about.”

Tom paused a moment, taken aback by Ana’s statement. “No, I mean groups of people that are planning to kill innocent civilians.”

“That would still cover a lot of ground,” Ana said, “Human governments are warlike in nature and act or plan to act against those people they perceive to be enemies in ways that result in the deaths of civilians that have no idea what the issues are that led or will lead to their deaths.”

Tom sighed heavily. He couldn’t tell if she was missing his point or if she was trying to get him to look at the world through different eyes. Either way, today had been long and stressful and, right now, he was too tired to play mind games with her. He would duel wits with her tomorrow after he was rested and could think more clearly.

“Let’s try this again in the morning. Do you have any more beer in that ship?” Tom asked.

“I can make any kind you like.”

A sudden breeze of cold air made him shiver and brought back memories of his childhood in Indiana. He remembered when he had marveled at the stars in the night sky that seemed so impossibly far away. Now it seemed those stars might be within his reach but he wasn’t sure he or mankind was ready for what that might bring.

A smile spread across his face. “Ok, make some of that beer I had in the Philippines, if you don’t mind.”

Tom went back inside the ship and was happy to find a frosted glass of amber liquid sitting invitingly on one of the tables. He picked it up and took a sip. It tasted great and it was just the right temperature too.

“Now all I need is a juicy steak and I’d be a happy camper.”

The words were barely out of his mouth when the pleasant odor of cooked meat reached him. He looked down to see a large plate with a T-bone steak and a baked potato smothered in butter and sour cream. His mouth was watering now as he sat down to try it. The meat seemed normal enough when he cut a piece off and held it up for a closer inspection. He took a small nibble. It was excellent so he began to eat enthusiastically. He felt it best to not think about what the meat was made out of if he were going to be doing this a lot.

“You know Ana, you’re not a bad cook,” he said around the food in his mouth.

“Thanks, I’m glad you like it,” Ana said with a hint of pride in her voice.

Once he was done eating, he got the urge to do some gaming as he did every night but something was different. Normally, he played the game with Ana… with Ana not being human… well; it didn’t feel right.

“I was just thinking about Crossed Swords. What’s going to happen about us playing the game together?”

“I can make you a gaming system to play on here so we can still play together anytime you want,” Ana said.

Tom searched for a way to express how he felt to her. “This may sound funny but I don’t see how I can play the game with you like I use to now that I know you’re not a person. If you know what I mean.”

“I understand,” she replied softly.

Was the longing in her voice only for effect or would part of her miss playing with him? Either way, things between them could never be the same now that he knew the facts of her origin. The sudden realization saddened him. In a lot of ways, Ana had been his best friend, even if they had never actually met in person.

A keyboard and mouse like the ones he used at home formed on the table next to his plate of food and a 3-D image of his game avatar appeared over the table. He put down his fork and grabbed the mouse, ready for the chance to have a little fun.

[More to come]