| CHAPTER 5 |

Chapter 5

Week after week have gone. Weeks have turned into months. After a while, Jason had to order pack members to cover up my mother's disappearance.

Her job had contacted me. I had to get our pack doctor to pretend as if she was lying in a hospital, deep in a coma from some sort of freak accident. Bills? They have become our obligation as well. If not, the house would become a dump then get foreclosed by the bank. My dog has become a part of this house hold. The only one who is allowed run in the house on all fours daily.

Why can't we go to the police? Jess had asked me that question and at first, I thought the same. Jason and the others made it specifically clear to keep mortal personals out of the situation. They knew nothing of this world. Besides, it would only lead them on a wild goose chase.

I sat up in the bed. Looking at the small digital clock as I questioned Jason's reasons for dressing so late in the hour.

"What are you doing? It's two-thirty in the morning."

"Someone found something." He pulled his shirt over his head. "It has your mother's scent."

Excited and also anxious, realization quickly made me unhopeful. I erased the joyfulness from my face. This is how it goes. We find something with a scent from my mother or the household. We would follow and come to a dead end within days.

It was like a trick. As if someone or something was taunting us, knowing that we would never find them or their whereabouts.

"Okay." I tossed him his cellular phone. "Please keep me posted."

He leaned over the bed and planted a kiss against my forehead before he left the room.

Sure that he was gone, I reached under my bed and pulled my laptop from its case. I opened it. Clicking the internet icon, I pulled the google homepage.

Typing almost viscously, I entered the word 'vampires' into the search engine. Lately, I have wanted to know more and more. I needed to know more.

"A mythical being who subsist by feeding on the blood of living creatures." I read in a whisper. I knew of this. Everyone did.

My eyes scanned the very articles and pages I was directed to, each page portraying vampires as something different from the last. Vampires feed on blood. Vampires feed on others essences. Vampires are susceptible to the very sun or other forms of extreme lighting. Others.....sparkle? Thanks alot twilight.

What exactly was I up against? What am I to look for? Is light their friend or foe? Where are they? The most important question is...how do I kill it?

How to kill a vampire? Hitting the enter key, I watched a list of links pop up.

"The crucifix usually isn't powerful enough to kill a vampire, but it can drain them of strength, burn their flesh, and keep them at a safe distance. Staking is the most common method of vampire hunting. The stake must be thrust into the vampire's heart in order to kill it." I read aloud to myself.

Leaning against the bed head board, I could only reminisce about my encounter with a vampire. How I had nothing on me to save myself. How he would have taken me away if it was not for Jason.

I need better defense.....

******

"I thought I told you to trash it?" Jess followed behind as I walked to my car.

"You did." She fiddled with the plastic. "But....I want to go."

"I'm not going to that damn gym." I roared up the engine as Jess slammed the passenger door closed.