A Prelude to Sunrise

"Snap out of it, Cha Eun Sang," she chastised herself as she was making her way towards the locker area. "It shouldn't bother you. It was no big deal," she added as soon as she reached her locker.

She hadn't looked in the mirror, but, she was pretty sure she looked haggard. She hated that Choi Young Do hugging her last night bothered her more than she thought it would.

She sighed then proceeded to open her locker.

She was organizing her things in her locker when her phone chimed. She smiled upon reading her mom's text message.

"I'll text you back later, mom," she thought as she closed her locker door.

"Did you sleep well?"

She jumped and whipped around at the voice.

"Choi Young Do," she thought and rolled her eyes.

She hadn't even looked in the mirror this morning. Embarrassed, she did her best to appear anything but.

She didn't answer him; instead she just looked at him and frowned, feigning irritation to mask the nervousness she felt. What she was nervous about, she didn't know.

"Don't you really know?" a voice inside her head asked. She shook her head and snubbed Choi Young Do squarely. She turned the other way and walked away from him as fast as she could.

It pissed her off that it bothered her that it didn't seem to bother him. You know, that hug from last night. Ugh! Why was she making a big deal out of it?

"Snap out of it, Cha Eun Sang," she thought and walked even faster.

"Hey, Cha Eun Sang!" She heard him call out behind her, but, she ignored him and continued walking away from him.

"Hey!" He grabbed her wrist once he caught up to her.

She rolled her eyes then turned around to look at him. "What?"

He frowned. "What what?"

She frowned back and frowned even deeper when he smiled. "What? What's so funny?"

He shrugged, "you." He added, "are you bothered by that moment we shared last night?"

She rolled her eyes. Okay. He was teasing her. And he was enjoying it. He was openly laughing at her discomfort now, and her irritation towards him is growing at a ridiculously rapid rate.

She scowled at him then she looked down at his hand around her wrist. Choi Young Do let go of her wrist and his hand went into his bag. "Here," he paused as he handed her something. "You forgot this in the car."

She frowned and she caught her breath when she saw what it was. She grabbed it from him, "My journal!" She grabbed it from him then looked at him through narrowed eyes.

As if reading her thoughts, Choi Young Do shook his head. "No, I didn't read it,"

She was still looking at him when she opened her journal. She flipped through the pages gently, then violently when she couldn't find the dried leaves inserted in her journal notebook.

"Where the hell are the dried leaves inserted in this journal, Choi Young Do?"

"I don't know. I didn't even open tha—"

"What did you do with them?" she asked him calmly, trying to hide the storm of emotions she was feeling.

"I told you, I didn't even open that journal!"

She shook her head, feeling frustrated. "If you didn't open my notebook, then why aren't they here?"

Choi Young Do scoffed, "Come on, Cha Eun Sang. What's the big deal? They're just dried leaves, for christ's sake!"