four

FOUR

Albeit tired and exhausted, I meticulously sorted out my books at my locker, making sure not to misplace any this time.

My bag rested on my knee. From my peripheral vision I noticed two figures approaching me. I glanced their way, zipping my bag closed.

It was Brad, his arm draped over a girl.

"Maverick." he said as we grabbed hands and patted each other's backs. His hand snaked back to the girl's shoulder. "Bro, Lily here's throwing this sick party tonight."

"After ten. My place. You should come. You are the talk of the town, after all." Lily added. "The boy who lived. Harry Potter two-point-oh."

I side-smiled, adjusting the strap on my shoulder.

"Sure. Yeah, I'll come."

"Alone or...? I mean, we'd ask you to hang with us, but." she squeezed Brad's waist and bit her lip for a second. "We'll probably be a teensy bit preoccupied."

I laughed lightly. "Don't worry. I'll figure something out."

"Check the address on Facebook!" she called out once they continued walking.

I shut my locker and herded to class. In my haste I accidentally bumped someone's shoulder.

"Watch it, Checkers."

I was about to apologize but I smiled instead, suddenly no longer exhausted. "You again... You know, I never see you in the mornings. Just after school or in creepy houses."

She smiled slightly. "Well, you see me now, Checkers. This isn't exactly a place I can answer your 'questions' though."

"No, uh." I said, scratching the back of my neck. " 'Ts not that. There's this party tonight, at Lily's, and I was wondering if you wanted to come with. As friends. Unless of course you have some demonic 'shit to do' tonight as well."

There was a pause. The silence was palpable even amidst the noise surrounding us. She did it again; scanned my face as if analyzing me. Those sunshine whiskey eyes heated my cheeks.

Finally, smirking, she said. "Okay. Pick me up at 11."

She then walked off, standing tall and confident with each step her slender legs took.

...

I walked down the stairs at 10:45, wearing a flannel shirt and some jeans. My mom was waiting downstairs smiling rather wide, camera in hand.

"Oh, your first party. I'm so proud." She snapped a few pictures, the flash blinding me.

I made a face. "Ma, cut it out. It's not that big a deal."

"Yes it is! I'm so happy my job hasn't completely hampered your social life. Your dad would have been, too." She paused, her smile becoming less taut. "And you're going with a friend--an actual person. That's huge."

I paused briefly, smiling. "If you say so."

She blinded me once again. I pursed my lips. Then she slowly looked down at the camera; I heard sniffling.

"Ma, please don't cry..."

"I am not crying. It's just... this damn Minnesota weather. I'm still getting used to it, you know?" She wiped her eyes. "Okay. Go. Do your thing."